• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Questions about IMRC replacement

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
It has come to my attention that most likely my IMRC has failed (loss of power when i reach the point in which the secondaries should open). I really want to attempt this myself so i have a few questions.

1. When replacing the IRMC do you replace the wire or just the box? I have the type of failure that does not seem to be related to the wire failing.

2. I have a 2000 CSVT. Are IMRC's compatible between all duratecs or just svt'? (So i know who to buy from)

3. I found this how-to after a bit of searching: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=757505&Search=true#Post757505

Is this the best one out there? Is there one with pictures? I'd really like one with picture cause I am not mechanically inclined (but i am learning).

Any other tips?

I don't have any pictures but I'll try to help.

You will be replacing the IMRC (intake manifold runner control) box. The box mounts on the front valve cover under a large plastic trim piece that is there just for appearance. It serves no other purpose (well, maybe it helps shield the water pump belt).

The IMRC box has electrical wires providing the controls to function the box. It also has a cable that extends from the box to the secondary throttle plates in the lower intake manifold. The cable is shielded, like a brake or shift cable on a bicycle. The cable yanks the secondaries open when the correct rpm and load have been achieved.

Removing the box is easy. You remove the trim cover for access and undo three mounting bolts and undo the electrical connection. Getting the other end of the cable loose is not nearly as easy. If you have small hands and are very adroit, you can get it loose by hand. If you are like me, you will need to remove the throttle body for access.

I hope this helps as a supplement to the post you linked.

There's a much easier way. Leave the box on the car. Follow Hightower's IMRC Fix How-To http://mrhightower.googlepages.com/imrcfix except instead of replacing the transistor, just pull the board and motor out of your new IMRC, put it in your old box (still mounted on the motor), screw the cover down, plug it in, and you're good to go. All 96+ V6 Contours have IMRCs, as well as some Taurus and others. Last month, I put the internals out of a Taurus IMRC into my box, and it works just fine. (My car ate 3 IMRCs this summer). The glue around the conector where it meets the box can be a PITA, but a hot knife/scraper, and a screwdriver wedged under the connector and on top of the cable outlet makes quick work of it. Trust me, I have gotten to be an expert with this stupid part, but mine is fixed for good now.

Back