• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Newest member of the FI family!

2kSVT

CEG'er
I have a NPG intercooled stage 1 turbo kit in my garage,Thanks Pudmunkie! It was originally bought by Alex532 from Cincy. It has never been installed. It is quite intimidating to see 6 boxes of parts, and wonder how it will all go together. If any of the EGL FI guys want to help with the install, I'll make it worth your time...cough..cash..cough! I'm doing the battery relocation tomorrow. I'll be running it on my 2.5 for now. I don't beat on the car, so I think it will hold up fine. I have loved driving this car for 7 years and can't imagine what it will be like with 100 more horses! I have 24# injectors coming. I talked to a powdercoater today about coating everything. I'm hoping to have everything ready soon. I have PM'ed Tom and Joey to get a tune worked up.

Rod

congrats! when the kits first came out, common numbers on the low boost level *(7 psi or so) i think guys wre making 260-280 WHP. definately free that exhaust up

Thanks Tricker for the input. I have been kicking around getting headers from NPG along with the tune. I know it would make a big difference, but heard it is a nightmare with motor still in the car.

Rod

its a nightmare but you should do it. you don't want to run your exhaust throught a precat before hitting the turbo. just a bad idea ;)

Oh, I didn't know there was precat before. I really need this to be a mod party! I'm trying to get installed on a budget. Would you spend the same amount of money on headers or powdercoating on cold pipes/ceramic on hot pipes??

Rod

I talked to a powdercoater today about coating everything. I'm hoping to have everything ready soon.

^^^^ What powder coater...... :shrug: Not me?! I could save you a lot of $$$$ - tell me what he quoted ya.

Fuz, He said first guy said I have to get everything sandblasted as some of the pipes won't fit in his booth. Then he said he could do a nice silver powder on the cold stuff. He suggested hi temp powder over ceramic for durability on the hot pipses..it comes in black and black. It is good to 800 degrees, $175.00 for all done in powder if I bring the big pipes in already blasted. The second place Forced Fab who specializes in 240SX's and the like said the big stuff would't fit in there blast booth either..$375.00! There is a place called Austhetic Finishers that is a big time coater in Piqua about 30 min. away. They are going to crack my head as they have a T.V. commercial and big advertising to pay for. I hear they do alot of industrial stuff. Will hi-temp powder hold up on the hot? What is max temp? I also see you are in another state. :(

If its a matter of money, I'd suggest getting headers and having them coated with the hot parts before the cold side. Cold side shouldn't be too much money but I'd think that would be easier to have done later.
I have some high temp black coating (not ceramic, higher rated than 800F) on my Mustang turbo kit and its holding up fine so far.
I also second not wanting precats before a turbo.
-J

Congrats and welcome, if you wanna do the stage 2 fmic, let me know I do have one laying around my garage:cool:

Would you spend the same amount of money on headers or powdercoating on cold pipes/ceramic on hot pipes??

headers

get a turbo blanket from nautilus performance (Joey) while you are at it. you will enjoy the power addition.

cheers

welcome buddy. for some reason, i get excited when another tour owner joins the FI crew:). definitely get the headers and a different exhaust. turns out my exhaust isnt cutting it anymore. i turned the boost up on mine but got little added power. my 2.5 inch custom exhaust is becoming a bottleneck.

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to get the headers,blanket and tune at once. I do have Bassani catback exhaust on my car. So hopefully with headers the catback and Joey's hot pipes it will be o.k. The pipes aren't bare right now, Pud painted them. I was just thinking of gettting the powder coating to make them last. What kind of temps do we make on the hot side? Will the 800 degree powder hold up? I'm real excited to get it installed, but I want to do it right. Thanks for all the input.

Rod

Hey Rod,

For top of the line stuff, get headers and look up swaintech. If you want GOOD high temp paint you can do yourself Google Goodson. They have aerosol cans w/ 1500* SUSTAINED temperature rating.

Good luck with the kit man!

Fuz, He said first guy said I have to get everything sandblasted as some of the pipes won't fit in his booth. Then he said he could do a nice silver powder on the cold stuff. He suggested hi temp powder over ceramic for durability on the hot pipses..it comes in black and black. It is good to 800 degrees, $175.00 for all done in powder if I bring the big pipes in already blasted. The second place Forced Fab who specializes in 240SX's and the like said the big stuff would't fit in there blast booth either..$375.00! There is a place called Austhetic Finishers that is a big time coater in Piqua about 30 min. away. They are going to crack my head as they have a T.V. commercial and big advertising to pay for. I hear they do alot of industrial stuff. Will hi-temp powder hold up on the hot? What is max temp? I also see you are in another state. :(

$175 is not bad even though you have to have it blasted already. Most standard powder coats will hold up to 350 deg. consistantly. High temp powders are good to 1,000 deg and you can get more than just black. Spray on (rattle can) applications I have seen good to 1,500 deg paints in many colors and you still have to bake them and in like 3 steps (10min@400deg,cool,20min@500deg,cool,30min@550deg) or do the curing steps for already installed pipes, but I don't know how those hold up.

How big are the pipes they can't blast?

Pud, thanks for the info, and it was a pleasure meeting you. Fuz they said all the hot pipes and the long intercooler pipe were too long for their booth. I would guess it is 3 feet long. It all fits in my trunk, so their blast booth must be smaller than an SVT trunk! I'll check into some of the DIY stuff. I added up headers,turbo blanket and SCT from NPG. It's $800+, and that's without a tune :0. Anyone have any headers for sale??

Rod

congrats, i hope you enjoy it. and as i said before you can ask me any questions you need.

its a nightmare but you should do it. you don't want to run your exhaust throught a precat before hitting the turbo. just a bad idea ;)

not true, it would be perfectly fine running through precats if he decided to go that route. mine works just fine like that. yes, header will flow a little better and during the turbo install would be the time to do it, but running through precats isn't a bad idea. hell, i think they are better because they smooth out the turbulance in the exhaust (IMO). oh, and subaru runs precats before their turbos.

congrats, i hope you enjoy it. and as i said before you can ask me any questions you need.

not true, it would be perfectly fine running through precats if he decided to go that route. mine works just fine like that. yes, header will flow a little better and during the turbo install would be the time to do it, but running through precats isn't a bad idea. hell, i think they are better because they smooth out the turbulance in the exhaust (IMO). oh, and subaru runs precats before their turbos.

I think you need to post some pics of your car again to help me understand what your taling about :drool:

I'm not sure if I would trust our car's precats (that's without researching it for a turbo application but I know they've been known to fail on other guys here just NA). I would think the precats Subaru and other OEMs were designed to run as pre-turbo. Its an expensive mistake to take out the turbo, more that the cost of headers :blackeye:
I do see your point on the turbulence, but the heat retaining factor of the cats would also help.
-J

The worst thing about precats on a boosted app is that it throws off your actually Air/Fuel some as the wideband is post turbo so obviously post precats as well. Not sure how the stock manifolds with precats affect temp over gutted or headers/coated headers. I guess the other bad thing about precats is like mentioned, the possibility of them shattering and eating the $700 turbo.

Back