• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Falken Tires Drifting at Ford Division

SVThopeful

CEG'er
With all the hardship at Ford lately, Ford Racing decided to hold an employee appreciation event at Ford Division’s building. Vaughn Gittin Jr and Doug Van Den Brink along with the Falken tire rig came out for a drifting demo and to give rides.

Unfortunately, Vaughn damaged his competition Mustang in Seattle two weeks ago, so he drove his Demo Car and Doug drove one of Ford Racing’s GT500s. It turned out to be a great event and everyone who came down to watch and who went for rides loved it.

IMG_3500.jpg

Doug getting adjusted in the GT500
IMG_3501.jpg

Who said Professional drivers don’t do any work?
IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Pretty cool of them to do. But as always I have to ask why they call it the GT500.

They thought it would be a good idea to bring the Shelby name back and since the Shelby Cobra is a completely different car, they called it the GT500. Personally I think it would have been nice if they stuck with Cobra and no Shelby.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. It's good to see this going on with the Ford building in the back. I can see why they did it.

They thought it would be a good idea to bring the Shelby name back and since the Shelby Cobra is a completely different car, they called it the GT500. Personally I think it would have been nice if they stuck with Cobra and no Shelby.

Do you know how many fricken times I have told people about the 66 Shelby Cobra my dad and I built only to hear, "yeah I like those Mustangs" or "a Cobra is a Mustang" like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. :help:

100_1060.jpg

Really looks like a damn Mustang, now doesn't it? :nonono:

Do you know how many fricken times I have told people about the 66 Shelby Cobra my dad and I built only to hear, "yeah I like those Mustangs" or "a Cobra is a Mustang" like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. :help:

You should try explaining to people how my dad's '65 Mustang Coupe is able to have a '63 Cobra 289 in it when Shelby Mustangs were not built until '65.

Really looks like a damn Mustang, now doesn't it? :nonono:

You should try explaining to people how my dad's '65 Mustang Coupe is able to have a '63 Cobra 289 in it when Shelby Mustangs were not built until '65.

You have to love some people :nonono:

Nice pics....that must have been a fun day at work :)
I've had a chance to poke around the comp. Falken drift car and it is pretty sweet, probably an absolute blast to have a prof. driver give you a spin.

Pretty cool of them to do. But as always I have to ask why they call it the GT500.

As far as the GT500/Shelby derailment (that happens alot here eh? :cool:), I think its a great move to bring back the Shelby name with the exception of the huge markups. I will own an original GT500 in the future (my dad has a '67 GT500 and a '66 GT350H) and plan on owning a new GT500 in a few years. The new Shelbys bring a lot of excitement and aftermarket potential to the new Mustang, and say what you want about CS, but he has delivered some excellent products over the years.
Most people that hate on Shelby can't get close to affording one anyway :rolleyes:
-J

It was a very fun day.

This is a shameless plug, but Ford Racing parts and the GT500s are impressive. After almost 2.5 hours of almost straight “abuse”, the tires were changed and I drove it back to the Roush Garage (they maintain our cars) to have the tires balenced and the car cleaned up and then I drove it all weekend with no problem.

When I got in the car after they were done, the MPG readout showed 2.4 average miles per gallon. I am sure that would look great in the “Drive Green” portion of Ford’s Drive One campaign. :)

say what you want about CS, but he has delivered some excellent products over the years.

But he's also put out some duds with other manufacturers and slapped his name on successful projects that he had nothing to do with. I wish Nascar drivers were more interested in slapping their names on production cars instead of getting into the wine business so I could go buy a Jeff Gordon badged Mustang. :)

Back