• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Attention Laurasvt!!!

cnewton44

Hard-core CEG'er
What year is this, what does it have in it, and why do I want it? :laugh::laugh:

stang.jpg

A neighbor is selling it and I am really tempted. Already has a 3 inch exhaust on it, and Koni struts. I know whats under the hood too but I want you to tell me. :D

late 80s SVO? 2.3t. Things to note are lack of biwing spoiler. Wait, I see the biwing spoiler now...and according to wiki, SVO was 84-86 so no late model really...

Well I knew what it was. But I just wasn't clear on some of the details. I really wish I could afford it. But he wants more than i would pay and I don't think I want a Ford if im gonna buy something like that. At least not this model.

Well I knew what it was. But I just wasn't clear on some of the details. I really wish I could afford it. But he wants more than i would pay and I don't think I want a Ford if im gonna buy something like that. At least not this model.

Get a merkur xr4ti instead...you know you want to :cool: All the cool kids have them!

well...I figure hugo doesn't read/post enough anymore to notice...but it would be a bit blatant because sometimes I PM him info on here :crazy: That's my rationale and I'm sticking to it!

What year is this, what does it have in it, and why do I want it? :laugh::laugh:

stang.jpg

A neighbor is selling it and I am really tempted. Already has a 3 inch exhaust on it, and Koni struts. I know whats under the hood too but I want you to tell me. :D

How the hell did I miss this? Thanks for thinking of me!

To be specific, it is a Mustang SVO -- either a 1984 or early 1985 (aero headlamps did not debut until 1985.5).

After withdrawing Ford almost entirely from racing in the 1970s (which followed on the heels of winning about everywhere in the 1960s), Henry Ford II decided (shortly before he stepped down in 1982) that Ford should get back into racing headlong for the Eighties. He appointed Michael Kranefuss head of the newly formed Special Vehicle Operations in 1980. The Mustang SVO was to be its brainchild and signature.

Fundamentally, it sports the same powerplant as the Mustang Turbo GT and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe / Mercury Cougar XR7 of the time (an OHC Lima 2.3 four-cylinder built stout as a rock with five lower main bearings), but was massaged for more power. It sported an upgraded Garrett turbocharger whose "blow through" designed yielded more power than the previous "draw down" style of the Garrett AiResearch T0-3 in '79-'82 Mustang GT and Capri RS turbos.

On the dash, you'll find a switch that allows you to calibrate Ford's venerable EEC-IV computer for either regular or premium fuel. These cars also got fully articulated seats, much like the ones in T-Bird and Cougar. Look next to the driver's seat, and you'll find a manual air bladder to adjust the lumbar support to your liking.

In addition to the 175 horspower and 210 lb ft. of torque (200 / 240 for '85.5 and '86), Koni struts adorn all four corners, as does independent suspension. These cars were world-class handlers. Unfortunately, they didn't sell well -- in large part because oil got cheap real fast after 1981, and V8s were affordable to own again. On the upside, you won't see yourself crusing down the road in this thing -- with only about 8200 SVOs ever made across their three year run, you're guaranteed a kind of exclusivity that even the Contour SVT can't match. :cool:

with only about 8200 SVOs ever made across their three year run, you're guaranteed a kind of exclusivity that even the Contour SVT can't match. :cool:

I am guessing Reebs and Bagged have parted out around 3000 SVTs so they should be close

stang.jpg

85 SVO with 2.3T:shrug: You want it because it's cool and hard to find:shrug:

EDIT:
DAMMIT! That 80s-obsessed nut job beat me to it!

Last edited:
Back