• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT vs WRX

I like how you guys (well most of you) just totally jump off subject and cant give a mature answer to his question. If you dont have nothing decent to say, dont say anything at all. How hard is keep quiet or answer?

What are we, 12? I think it's more like "if you don't have anything nice to say, say it anyway because the guy might kill someone." The guy started a topic that is clearly against the rules. Either the post gets locked or everyone, rightly so, belittles him.

I really like all the negative postings regarding this thread. Let me say that there is always a chance of winning, and it's ridiculous that people complain about this thread as "oh, why even bother asking? You'd lose." I realize that was most likely the case but at least I don't have a 96 V6 mustang or a Dodge Intrepid in my sights... and thats funny cause you :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about other people's sights being set to low, and now you :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: even more about mine being too high.

BTW, I appreciate the serious and semi-serious responses.

Umm, the obvious part.

There is no contour that has a chance at all off the line vs. any properly launched WRX.

1st gear in the 2.0L sucks balls -- my car feels worthless as hell until I shift into 2nd, and then I'm gone.... off the line it will be close and if hes a skilled driver he could take him off the line but like I said... once the WRX gets into 2nd gear its all over which will be shortly after the race starts.

if the wrx is before they starting throwing turbo's inside the wrx's(non sti's) you will smoke him even if he has awd. those cars are NOTHING w/out turbo's. that's a fact i don't care who you are lol. it's like if a honda didn't have "VTAK YO" it would be a kia basically just with a motor that last longer... get what i'm saying?

Last edited:
There is no WRX in the US that doesn't have a turbo. Theres 'the 2.5RS which had a H4 2.5 with about 165hp, and in the years of 98-01 had an LSD.

but for real though, aren't we all on the same team here... whoever posted this thread dood just go to the track... ask him to go to the track with you and add something like i'll own you at the track... that will attack his ego most likely and yea... he'll accept your challenge, now when your at the track... he'll be a show off and drop his clutch all high and we all know the WRX's tranny's and transfer box are like glass and it will shatter and you will win... case closed end of story, can we get a mod to close this thread? lol i love you guy's your all great i swear

1st gear in the 2.0L sucks balls -- my car feels worthless as hell until I shift into 2nd, and then I'm gone.... off the line it will be close and if hes a skilled driver he could take him off the line but like I said... once the WRX gets into 2nd gear its all over which will be shortly after the race starts.

You need to learn how to drive your car then.

There is no WRX in the US that doesn't have a turbo. Theres 'the 2.5RS which had a H4 2.5 with about 165hp, and in the years of 98-01 had an LSD.

I think he's just confused by the name "Impreza" because both WRX's and STi's are still an Impreza but all 3 are completely different when your comparing a Subrau Impreza, Impreza WRX and Impreza WRX STi

I think, in the original post, he mentioned racing on the track. That was my impression.

But in any case... So a Contour of any breed with any amount of mods is never really going to stand up against things like WRX STI's and their ilk? I'm hearing a lot of negative reinforcement here... You guys sound awfully embittered towards Contours for being the people who comprise a forum called the Contour Enthusiast Group... :blackeye:

Given this topic, please see this thread... I need input. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=502803#post502803

Wrong, no one is saying you can't have a fast contour that will beat other cars. People are saying that in this instance, with the description given, this guy will probably not win this race. Also, all these stories are drag racing stories. It is probably out of the monetary range of some people who own these cars to make lots of horespower to compete with other cars in a straight line, which was never the intent of the contour to begin with.

You want to beat wrx's and mustangs and whatnot...buy a 3-4k contour, do about 1500 in suspension mods and tires, and go to your local autocross! "Fast" car for a fraction of the price!

It's not that people are negative around here, it's that we are well aware of the shortcomings of the platform and choose to put it in scenarios where it shines best while maintaining some sort of reasonable budget!

Even a budget that may seem unreasonable to a CEG'R is probably still alot less than buying a newer vehicle.

I think, in the original post, he mentioned racing on the track. That was my impression.

But in any case... So a Contour of any breed with any amount of mods is never really going to stand up against things like WRX STI's and their ilk? I'm hearing a lot of negative reinforcement here... You guys sound awfully embittered towards Contours for being the people who comprise a forum called the Contour Enthusiast Group... :blackeye:

Given this topic, please see this thread... I need input. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=502803#post502803

I am also under the assumption that this person is referring to a race on a 1/4 track.

There are many, many mildly modded to moderately modded WRX's and STI's that run mid to low 13's or 12's depending on how skilled the driver may be. Highly modded you are looking at 11's. There are only a few Contours that we CEG'rs know of that have hit 13's. None that have hit 12's or 11's as we know. Again, this is on a 1/4 track talk, not from a roll.

Most of us know how fast turbo Contours are from a roll...and they are pretty damn fast.

So, do you want to be fast, quick or both? It's all personal preference.

Umm, the obvious part.

There is no contour that has a chance at all off the line vs. any properly launched WRX.

Not gonna go into numbers such as HP, torque, and weight ratio but a race with any WRX while driving in a CSVT modded spells LOSE. UNLESS your car is heavily modded with a turbo pushing mad boost. But then you still may lose. :(

Wrong, no one is saying you can't have a fast contour that will beat other cars.

though i agree that most people are just saying that with the assumed mods that this race wont work out in favor of the 'tour, it seems as though this thread is leaning towards the contours cant win at all realm. a nicely modified 3L with the right driver (i.e demonsvt) could have hung with a stock older sti, an average 3L could probably hang with a stock older wrx. but if you are talking about an 8+ year old car thats n/a vs a 4 year old or newer turbo awd car... yeah probably not gonna happen.
you are right though, we just need to pick our battles.

Back