• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

why no turbo x-types?

mtxcontourSVT

New CEG'er
probably going to get flamed for this but why not turbo a jag x-type?

I know it has the vvt setup but couldn't you swap the heads out?

I'm guessing the price tag on the x-type is still too high...

I researched it a little bit last year and found the consensus among x-type owners was that the drivetrain is too fragile.

This article is about a supercharged x-type that ford was testing, and has this to say:

Meanwhile, there were engineering concerns. The Jatco transmission used on the X-Type prototype was prone to failure above 260 hp. Going against cars such as the BMW M3 would require at least 300 hp.

The jatco transmission is the automatic: JATCO: Japanese Automatic Transmission Company.

The manual is the same MTX75 as in our cars with a different differential and a transfercase bolted up to it. I used to own and X-type and contemplated doing an AWD swap into the Cougar so I looked into it.

I'd say the differential, transfercase, driveshaft and rear end are all possible week points. Since the differential is different than ours we couldn't put a torsen or a quaife in there which would be a big concern because the stock diffs in the Contour/Cougar trans are very fragile.

I came up with the same info as well. The drivetrain was deemed far too weak for any serious power upgrades.

My next thought was a V6 manual LS. (RWD with IRS) The chassis had good reviews but the jury is out on the 5-speed tranny.

My next thought was a V6 manual LS. (RWD with IRS) The chassis had good reviews but the jury is out on the 5-speed tranny.

Yeah, but how hard can that be to get around? Worst case scenario calls for a little bit of a build on it or a little fab to drop something more proven behind the duratec. Especially if Joey gets his swap tested out for the 240 then he will have already laid some substantial groundwork for using our lovely duratec with a "correct" longitudinal mounting position. This has been a back kept thought of mine for quite some time too. Pretty much since the time on the old forums when I received your answer on the opinion of the LS vs the X-type. There are some other applications I have in mind where I would also like to see duratec power though.

The jatco transmission is the automatic: JATCO: Japanese Automatic Transmission Company.

The manual is the same MTX75 as in our cars with a different differential and a transfercase bolted up to it. I used to own and X-type and contemplated doing an AWD swap into the Cougar so I looked into it.

I'd say the differential, transfercase, driveshaft and rear end are all possible week points. Since the differential is different than ours we couldn't put a torsen or a quaife in there which would be a big concern because the stock diffs in the Contour/Cougar trans are very fragile.

Hah, small world! Good to see another jagforums guy!

Hell, the TCs are cooking even on the stock form, I'd hate to see what would happen with forced induction.

mazdaspeed 6?

mazdaspeed 6?

anyone know the limits of the mazdaspeed6 drivetrain? I prefer the look over the jag anyway but again the cost is still a big turnoff. also the fact that it is 100:0 (Front/Rear) until slippage occurs.

Yeah, but how hard can that be to get around? Worst case scenario calls for a little bit of a build on it or a little fab to drop something more proven behind the duratec. Especially if Joey gets his swap tested out for the 240 then he will have already laid some substantial groundwork for using our lovely duratec with a "correct" longitudinal mounting position. This has been a back kept thought of mine for quite some time too. Pretty much since the time on the old forums when I received your answer on the opinion of the LS vs the X-type. There are some other applications I have in mind where I would also like to see duratec power though.
I've come up with a few project cars I'd like to see with a boosted Duratec. :laugh: The transmission is the least of the worries every time you look at the logistics as a whole.

On the transmission front the most likely answer is a T5 and that's already been done actually. Quite a while ago an enterprising gent put a NA 3L Duratec backed by a T5 in a Miata. IIRC it raised the weight of the car 125lbs over the stock setup. However the weight was carried lower so CoG improved. I believe others have done it since then as well.

Back