• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil change question

JEFFtourCT

CEG'er
i dont know if the previous owner was using mobil 1 synthetic or not. the car only has 77789 miles on it.. would it still be safe to use mobil 1 at my next oil change?

yep

yep

yep... go ahead, if you had 150,000 miles than maybe I would reconsider and just use dino oil because synethetic may wear out seals or cause leaks (again this is just speculation), put a good healthy dose of Mobil 1 5w20 in there + Lucas Oil Stabilizer, will last you long time... :D :D :D

yep... go ahead, if you had 150,000 miles than maybe I would reconsider and just use dino oil because synethetic may wear out seals or cause leaks (again this is just speculation), put a good healthy dose of Mobil 1 5w20 in there + Lucas Oil Stabilizer, will last you long time... :D :D :D

The effectiveness of oil additives is highly questionable, and I would advise anyone to research the subject before using them.

Searching here is a good start:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=5

Additionally, some people believe that 5w30 may be a better choice. 5w30 makes more sense to me. But don't take my word for it, search the old forums and find out what others thought:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Last edited:
just use a oil you are comfortable with. i use castrol syntech 5w-30. thats just what i am comfortable with.

AAAHHHH! Synthetic doesn't wear out seals! Jesus christ, I am getting sick of reading that BS.

AAAHHHH! Synthetic doesn't wear out seals! Jesus christ, I am getting sick of reading that BS.

Actually there is a historic basis for this. Some synthetic base stocks do tend to shrink seals, especially old seals. This has long ago been compensated for in the blending of the oil to balance out that effect. Early Mobil 1 was one of the worst offenders.

Last edited:
Back