• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Recharge AC??

You can do it yourself with some loaner tools available at most auto parts stores. Is the system bone dry or just not blowing as cold as it used to?

search or read much?

yes it can be done at home with the proper tools. what is going on with the system?

well i went through two cans... the second still had some left in it when it was done....still not cold though. it got a little cooler but not ice cold yet. shoudl i try another can??? and every can i bought said put can upside down why do u say other wise?

well i went through two cans... the second still had some left in it when it was done....still not cold though. it got a little cooler but not ice cold yet. shoudl i try another can??? and every can i bought said put can upside down why do u say other wise?

Did you measure the pressure? Did you evacuate the system to a vacuum before adding refrigerant? You can't just keep adding cans of refrigerant until it gets cold.

the gauge i got wont measure the pressure on the car only wats being fed in the car from the can. ill have to get another gauge. and no i didnt have it evacuted because in the other post it says you dont have to as long as it hasnt been a long time since it wasnt cold.

If it went dead all at once it doesn't matter if you lost it 5 minutes ago, you still have to evacuate after fixing the leak. "All at once" is strong evidence of a catastrophic failure. What caused you to think you were done if you still had freon left and it wasn't cold? Put 10 more cans in and see if it gets better! Seriously, if that's the extent of your logic stream, find someone to do it for you before you hurt yourself. I personally know someone who lost 3 fingers when can exploded (he was on the 4th one). You're dealing with a complicated system like details don't matter, for instance, if you were using the high pressure fitup like pros do, you would immediately understand why not to tip the can upside down. The cans generally say upright for vapor and upside down for liquid, they DO NOT say turn them upside down. That can blow your stuff up. Upside down feeds liquid which is NOT COMPRESSIBLE, if by some reason compressor manages to eat enough of it at once, compressor will blow up in 50 million pieces. The factory generally puts restrictors in accumulators to slow down pickup of pure liquid to keep people like you from killing yourselves.

Did you read the thread and watch the video in the previous link?

How many fluid ounces is two cans?

the gauge i got wont measure the pressure on the car only wats being fed in the car from the can. ill have to get another gauge. and no i didnt have it evacuted because in the other post it says you dont have to as long as it hasnt been a long time since it wasnt cold.

Take it to a shop and have them do it. Now you've probably over-charged the system, which is worse than under-charged. You obviously don't know what you're doing (aka adding refrigerant without a pressure gauge on the car). Stop now before you damage the car and/or hurt yourself.

I checked Interdynamics (Artic) yesterday and the can does say flip it upside down towards the end. I think it has to do with the pag oil going in.

Put a gauge on the high side and watch what happens when straight liquid goes into the system. The gauge will go crazy until you flip can back over normal. You can also feel the thumping in the lines, not the way to do it. You can shake the can to gas the liquid a little quicker, and I've even turned can upside down before, but don't do it for very long, you're asking for it.

Put a gauge on the high side and watch what happens when straight liquid goes into the system. The gauge will go crazy until you flip can back over normal. You can also feel the thumping in the lines, not the way to do it. You can shake the can to gas the liquid a little quicker, and I've even turned can upside down before, but don't do it for very long, you're asking for it.

He doesn't have a gauge.

I'm done with this thread. I don't know why you bothered to post this, because you're completely ignoring everyone has told you. You seem dead-set enough on doing it your way, regardless of people telling you it's dangerous or harmful to the car. Do it how you want, but don't whine on here when you screw something up.

not the way to do it. You can shake the can to gas the liquid a little quicker, and I've even turned can upside down before, but don't do it for very long, you're asking for it.

Hence why I said read the can before automatically doing it. Some say shake first, some shake while connected and others say turn the can upside down.

I passed a course on HVAC about three years ego....
Now I do not remember too much... just can say it is a complecated system, it is not like mechanical part change... it needs special knowledge and care, First sb MUST know the risks and dangers...
If there is a problem with this system, take it to a Garage OR before doing anything study alot about how the HVAC systems work, both on the car, home and industrial.... (all have same fundamentals)... If are a good mechanic you need to study at least a month. then go to inspect the system!

I can honestly say that after I watched the loaner dvd about HVAC from autozone I felt cheated that I had studied for the ASE HVAC test. It told and showed me everything I needed to know to use the other rental tools and do almost anything a shop could do in a driveway.

Not having a gauge reinforces my point totally. You don't know what you're talking about until you see the effect. That's where the danger is. Are you going to trust your expensive car to advice printed on the side of a $6 can? It should be obvious to a thinking being that if every can says something different, then it's time to weed through the BS and figure out who's right. OR you can do this: (1) first can says leave it upright, do so. (2) next can says turn it upside down, do so. (3) last can says shake it before you connect it up, do that too. You should feel like an idiot right about now................

Oh where oh where has my freon gone wrong.....

Oh where oh where has my freon gone wrong.....

In charging from a can never turn the can upside down. This allows direct liquid into the compressor. Normally the intake compressor valves expect the freon to be in a gaseous state. When you inject the liquid, you can damage and destroy the valves on the compressor. The reason you see the gauge needles fluctuate widely is because the valves are deforming because they can't had the liquid coming into the compressor.

It takes awhile to recharge by can. Hold the can upright and hold the revs up around 1500 to 2000 or so...this will pull in the gas.

If you put in two cans and still no luck sounds like you have a major leak.
Best procedure to follow is:
1. Discharge/evacuate system.
2. Pull vacuum
3. close valves on gauges and shut off vacuum pump. See if lines hold suction for 5 minutes. If they don't you have a leak. If you can' spot leak, recharge with a can with uv dye. Then use uv light to check where leak is at. Once found repair hose/part and vacuum and recharge....

Bob

Back