• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

does the duratec have .........

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
a rpm range that no matter what the engine vibrates hard causing any solid metal touching to resonate throught the contour body.

I have a hard vibration or bumping feeling that happens between 3000 rpms and 4000 rpms. This vibration can be felt and heard a little even in neutral. On the highway with a load it feels a slight bit harder but as soon as you let off the gas and push in the clutch its going. I have a DMD and I remember some people i think like Keyser or so who spun there DMD with high HP numbers. I do have a solid mount in the rear metal to metal and was wondering if the motor just resonates or it frequency range for shake is there. I eliminated rod knock because it would do it all the time and would be heard more than felt and would be louder at rpms. The noise or vibration dispates after 4000k I may go back to a rubber mount or change my DMD if it continues. I also had my engine completly balanced and if I understand correctly that would vibrate harder the faster it rotates. Just wondering to what people may think.

That's about the same rpm range where I feel the most vibration with the solid mounts. I also have a dmd.

It depends on what frequency sets off the body structure in the area where the solid contact is. This is why everything from the OEM is mounted on rubber bushings, and even then the bushing and mount designs go through a lot of work to ensure that the right frequencies are damped out before being input into the body structure.

Like Rara said, if you vibrate something at it's natural frequency, it will make noise.

That is why in a tile bathroom, a lot of people's voices sound different... it's the frequency of your voice vibrating the tile since it matches the tile's natural frequency.

It could also be partially caused by your exhaust...

Back