• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strange stalling

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so this happend two times last night and has never happend before. i had 4 people in the car (if it matters) i accelerated moderately in first and shifted at about 5k into second and let off, and hit the brakes and all of a sudden dash lights come on. i had the music up on both accurances so i couldnt hear anything but the second time i downshifted to 2nd and was make a slow right turn and all of a sudden i lost power steer and almost went off the road.

Anyways, it hasnt happend today at all the drive to work was fine (about 20 minutes) so im not sure what this could be, the car started back up fine evvery time, and no CEL's.

so any suggestions?

u know, this is one problem i was never able to solve. when i let off the gas after aggressive acceleration, my car stalls too, just like yours. i've just always lived with mine.:shrug:

u know, this is one problem i was never able to solve. when i let off the gas after aggressive acceleration, my car stalls too, just like yours. i've just always lived with mine.:shrug:

yeah I think the turbo has something to do with that ....

Would it be possibly due to the IAC. I know before I replaced mine, it would respond like a slug.

When it was cold, I could rev the motor and if I would let off the throttle immediately, IAC would not respond in due time, and car would stall.

This was on the 2.5L duratec and in park, but I would imagine if you at a high RPM, let off the throttle and brake, the situation in the motor would be identical (throttle plate closed from high rpm, runs out of air before IAC opens up)

Exact same problem with my 3L swap as well. I have replaced the IAC but that did not fix the problem. I guess you could say I am living with it always ready to give it a shot of gass if I put the car into neutral at high RPM (always worse after hard driving). The first few times the car just died and I was booking it down the road with the engine dead and no power steering, really took me by suprize.

So, have you actually checked anything under the hood as to why this might be happening? Loose wires? Especially the main power wires from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the engine ground?

My car I just bought is doing this stalling thing... It's a weird deal, but doesn't happen enough to bother me yet. I also have the spontaneous bucking, but it also doesn't do it enough to bother me either. Great unsolved mysteries of the CSVT's.

Unfortunately this seems to be all to typical with CEG.:nonono:

"ahh my car :censored::censored::censored::censored:s up and does xxxxx.... I just live with it"

LAZY!

My car I just bought is doing this stalling thing... It's a weird deal, but doesn't happen enough to bother me yet. I also have the spontaneous bucking, but it also doesn't do it enough to bother me either. Great unsolved mysteries of the CSVT's.

when i bought my silver svt, the dealer put regular gas in it. while driving it home, it randomly stalled while driving in 4th gear. i used up the rest of the tank and put premium in. never had a problem since

i just began experiencing something like this. anyone have this problem only in the cold? my car will try and stall after any movement when i come to a complete stop until the engine has gotten about half warmed up. it will not do it if it is over about 50 degrees outside. any lower and it will try to drop to 250rpm then die if i dont give it a little throttle. only happens when the engine is cold though... havent had time to look into it.

Check these items....
-EGR valve if it sticks open your car will stall when you push the clutch in or break on an auto as it will not idle, that can be intermittent best way to check is with a vacum pump hooked directly to it you can make it open and close check for any sticking
-IAC has been mentioned clean or replace can cause your car to run rough at idle can be intermittent
bad coolant temp sensor can cause these problems(i.e. make engine think it is warmed up when it isn't or vice versa) and will not throw engine code.
bad ACT (air charge temp sensor) possible.

I also had a car with a fuel delivery problem(poor bafles 86 t-bird) if you turned hard to the left it would stall and not immediately start back up..

check fuel pressure change fuel filter check out threads on fuel pump problems

good luck the little things are always the hardest to nail down..

Back