• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with hoses

turbo_fox

Veteran CEG'er
Ok, I searched, and spoke with people who have done 3Ls, and thought I had the answer, but I guess not. I am using an 04 taurus block and heads to make a port matched 3L. When I bolted the water pump on, I found out the hose that went from the waterpump to the block (between the heads) wouldn't fit. The nipple on the block is about 1.5" OD, and the hose is about a 1.25" ID. After my research I decided I needed the hose from the 04 taurus, I got it at the dealer, and it is the same size as the one from the contour, and doesn't fit. I am losing my mind, because it doesn't make sense to me that the hose for the taurus wouldn't fit on the taurus engine. Any ideas? did they give me the wrong hose at the dealer??

I had the same problem, I ended up using Taurus water pump that came with my 3L

I had the same problem, I ended up using Taurus water pump that came with my 3L

That is why I bought the taurus hose, but it is the same size

Swap cross over pipes?

not the crossover pipe, the actual nipple on the block between the heads

Yes. The size of the block nipple was changed at some point. The dealer gave you the old hose for the smaller block nipple.

The dealer lists the same hose for all applications. they looked up the nipple size, and the taurus and the contour both list having a 32mm nipple, but the 03 escape lists a 38mm, but they all list the same hose, and my 04 taurus has a 38mm, so nothing is making sense.

Ugh... I thought the larger nipple in the Escape was incorporated in all the 3L's. Sucks for you because that nipple is a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to get out if you wanted to put the smaller one in that will fit your hose. Good luck.

04 must be a bit different. I know someone has posted about this exact issue. Wish I could find it.

i got a 3l waterpump and hose from aircougar. I will post the ford part number later incase anyone else runs into this issue.

2S7E-8A577-AB

This must be used with the 3L waterpump as the outlet on the pump is larger than the 2.5.

I've always stuck with the 3l pumps that come with our engines for this reason. Also another thing to note is that the smaller nipple on the bottom of the water pump is slightly larger than the one on the 2.5L pump. You can still get the hose over it but you need a larger clamp.

I've always stuck with the 3l pumps that come with our engines for this reason. Also another thing to note is that the smaller nipple on the bottom of the water pump is slightly larger than the one on the 2.5L pump. You can still get the hose over it but you need a larger clamp.

yeah but I bought an SVT that came with a 3L, and all it had was block/heads/oilpan/timing cover. valve covers or water pump or intake or anything.

Back