• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need Help...Timing Chains/Cams

svttouruofl

CEG'er
I was replacing my timing chains and tensionors today on my 2.5 and I thought I did it correctly but I apparently didn't. I had made alignment marks before I removed them and when I put the new ones on they didn't line up, as the pictures show. So here's how I went about doing this. I removed the tensionors and when I did the cams jumped, or seated whatever you want to call it. Then I removed the chains and set the #1 piston to TDC. Then I rotated the cams to where the alignment marks should be according to my ford service manual. Then I placed the chains on the sprockets lining up the alignment marks with the chain markings. I replaced the tensionors and released them and everything looked good. Then I turned the engine over to line the marks I made up with the chain marks. 2 of the 3 marks lined up but on the cams both of them are off 3 links in the same direction. So where did I mess up and how do I fix this? I came across something that said I need to pull the cams and go that route. What do I do now...please help.

100_1649.jpg

100_1648.jpg

Last edited:
Your marks will only be correct once. I believe once you turn the crank one time, your marks won't line up again for 64 more rotations, or something like that. Follow the manual, set it up right, and put the timing cover on.

I stressed about my 3L being timed right, but I followed the manual and it worked. There are threads about this very issue, but you might have to find them in the archives in the 3L forum.

So as long as I had the chains aligned with the sprocket marks they are ok??? I didn't loosen the cams. I just turned them until I could line the marks up. Is this alright?

Why are you lining up your timing chain index links to marks you have drawn on your tensioner arms? They should line up with the marks on the cam gears plus the crank gear. This is the only way to know for sure if you have gotten everything into alignment on both cylinder banks simultaneously.

Here is a diagram:
0900c152800a89d1.gif

As you can see, the arrows on the back of the gears will line up at the same time that the timing chain index links hit the index marks on the front of the gears. AutoZone has a good repair procedure published on this: http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c152800a89cc

I just did the same repair on my engine. Here you can see the chain and gear marks in alignment.

P1000923.JPG

As muntus noted, if you continue to turn the engine over, the chain index links will shift off the marks on the gears. However, they should all move by the same amount, e.g. all will appear to be one link off at the same time.

Good luck! :)

Back