• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AAA and stuff

Fordwerke

CEG'er
Since a week I enjoy by V6 Contique, which cost me a lot of money so far, and drained my bank account beyond ridiciulous levels. Yet I wanna have some roadside security, like AAA or something.
What are your recommendations on this? Can you advice me AAA or something different, cheaper, better? Cause every penny counts now for me.

Multo Grazie folks

I find AAA to be most useful for two things: towing and discounts on car rental through Hertz. When I was building my project car, I was able to tow her from here to there with ease -- and it was free. And on a recent trip to Miami, I rented a car in Hertz's full size class for eight days for only $201.

One Christmas Eve after midnight mass, I followed several cars as they drove over the church lawn to get out of the parking lot. I thought the ground might have been too wet, but they made it. When I did it, my tire sank right in and I was stuck. I had AAA, and a lady who lived nearby called them for me. A tow truck arrived within the hour and pulled me out. AAA saved me from an awful Christmas that year. I recommend them highly, and the Plus membership is more than worth the added cost.

Smart move, Fordwerke. I hope you won't need it too much, but it's always better to have it.

Smart move, Fordwerke. I hope you won't need it too much, but it's always better to have it.

No, it really help, I know. In Germany the transmission cable of my CX snapped in the middle of the intersection, and I was stuck in there. A ADAC (that's the German AAA) fixed the cable in a minute, literary not figuratively, and I drove it like it for years, if I remember it correctly.

I've got AAA and I love it. If you get stuck they'll be out within an hour or two and tow ya. Or even if you run out of gas they'll bring you a couple gallons of gas to get to a gas station. I've even had a few tow trucks drivers help take a look at my car and try and get it running so they don't have to charge me the extra towing past the 5 miles it would have taken.

On top of all that, you can get discounts to practically anything by being a AAA member. A lot of vacation spots, rental car services and even the airport parking lots give AAA discounts. Half the time you don't even need to show your card, so you could get it even if you aren't a member, haha.

If all you're looking for is emergency assistance, check with your car insurance company. I have emergency roadside assistance tacked onto my regular State Farm auto policy, and it only adds something like $5.00/year to my bill. I also have AAA Plus for additional coverage, especially the extended towing distances. My Lincoln-Mercury dealer is 50 miles from where I live, so I needed the premium towing coverage. I've used it three times.....two on loss of oil pressure issues, and once on a lock-out.

Back