• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kaaz or phantom slip?

Goumba

Hard-core CEG'er
I've been trying to decide which differential to get. The kaaz is a great clutch type 1.5 way lsd. It comes with the 85-90w gear oil that they reccomend for it. That's the problem with that one. Then there is phantom grip. This baisicly transforms the stock diff to a trac-loc diff. The problem there being that the phantom slip seems sorta shamtasic and it reuses the weak stock diff. Does anyone on here have or know of fist hand experience of these two products in the mtx75? I know the kaaz is first rate. I also know of glory and horror stories of the phantom slip in real life outside of their magical testing facility. BTW. The t2 nor the quaife work in low traction situations such as rally. The rally focus guys all agree on that. That's why I'm not going to spend any money on them. Their great on tarmac though.

i dont have any experiance with either one but if you decide to go with the phantom grip, buy a pre98 differential. it is MUCH stronger than the 98+ diff.

ps. i have one that i would sell for fairly cheap. PM if your interested in it.

First thing. No one on here has gone with anything besides a Quaife or Torsen ATB. Do a search on Phantom Slip err Grip. Do it right.

i dont have any experiance with either one but if you decide to go with the phantom grip, buy a pre98 differential. it is MUCH stronger than the 98+ diff.

ps. i have one that i would sell for fairly cheap. PM if your interested in it.
:rolleyes:

As Todd said Go with the Quaife or Torsen, they are the only proven ones! I have a torsen in my 98 and a Quaife in my 00 and love them both.

I do remember hearing of a guy on the focus forums that used a Phantom grip in his ztec with the mtx-75 and it grenaded just like a oem diff, not worth it to me!

I already mentioned that the quaife and tortion don't work in the dirt. So why would I go with them then? I do think that the stock differential isn't worth modifying.

Last edited:
And you are going to be offroading a csvt:shrug: If so just give the car away cause it will be trash after that:nonono: :nonono:

My contour is my rally car. And yes. It will get thrashed and trashed. I will continue fixing the things I break as long as the chassis is good. currently it has a bent lca and tie rod from last weekends crash. That won't stop me from fixing and racing it before next weekend.

I already mentioned that the quaife and tortion don't work in the dirt. So why would I go with them then? I do think that the stock differential isn't worth modifying.

Where is your explination on that. Curious to hear. If you think they won't work the other 2 will definately NOT work.

The quaife and torsion are gear a based lsd. Gear based units require a certain amount of traction to work. In very low traction situations, a gear based unit may or may not decide to work. That's just the truth. I wish it wasn't because I wouldn't have been spinning one wheel at nearly every green light in the rain last night. When it doesn't work, it's just like an open diff. In a clutch based lsd, clutches lock up at the axels during slip. This is not like posi traction where both axels are moving at the same speed. Depending on the clutch configuration, a certain amount of slip is allowed. The phantom grip is kinda in the middle of a clutch and posi lock lsd. Think of it this way. If you break an axel and you have a quaife or torsion, you can't drive away from where you are. If you have a clutch based lsd and break an axel, it will lock up allowing you to drive home. I just talked to some focus rally drivers this weekend. They all agreed that the quaife and torsion work better than an open diff. But not by much unless they're on pavment or hard packed surfaces.

Yeah too bad the Torsen and Quaife are not lsd's they are atb's:rolleyes:
they are LSD's. there are 3 types of LSDs: viscous, clutch, and gear. the viscous uses fluid and is generally only used for center differentials on AWD carsand provides a certain amount of split all the time. the clutch and gear types are the most common for front/rear differentials. they're obvious how they work by thier name, clutch type uses clutches that lock and the gear type uses gears that engage and transfer torque to the other wheel when slipping is detected. the Torsen and Quaife are both gear type LSDs, and as Goumba stated, they dont work in situations where neither wheel as enough tractionto effectivly move the car.

once again, the Torsen and Quaife ARE AUTOMATIC TORQUE BIASING LSDs.

The t2 nor the quaife work in low traction situations such as rally. The rally focus guys all agree on that.

Then why aren't you following the advice they are giving you? Go ahead and put something else in and let us know how it holds up. The PG is trickery and will more than likely put a hole in the case when it lets go. I have a spare I can sell you though.:laugh: Maybe the Quaife or Torsen aren't the best for you but it's the best that's offered. It's worlds above a stock diff. And if you're so hung up on low speed traction you might want to go with most do...an AWD car.

Back