• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wheel bearing and/or tie rods?

Fordwerke

CEG'er
Hi,

I'm (almost sure) gonna buy a 99 Mystique V6 with 60k miles. The car looks perfect. Except, from the rear, a funny noise comes as I spead up to over 30-39 mph. Something with the axle? What's your diagnosis?

I heard a similar noise when I'd a Contour in '03. At that time, a mechanic changed the wheel bearing and tie rod end at the front left side, and the noise stopped.

I think, the same issue exists at the rear. Back in '03, it cost me almost 700 bucks to fix that thing. How much would I've to pay for that today?

sorry, dunno why i wrote such an Engrish up there.
the problem I had with my Contour in 2003 was at the front left. Now, with the car I wanna buy, I've got the noise from the rear.

Went to a Firestone garage, and they said that changing the wheel bearings for one side is 250, and for both sides about 300$.

Hope I can deduct that from the sales price.

There shouldnt be a bearing problem at 60k honestly. I wanna know whats up with their pricing if they arent gonna charge you double to do twice the work.

There shouldnt be a bearing problem at 60k honestly.

For most models, I would agree.. but the OEM bearings DO tend to fail and usually at around 60-75K miles.

do an "o'clock" test to test the bearings on each tires.

For most models, I would agree.. but the OEM bearings DO tend to fail and usually at around 60-75K miles.

do an "o'clock" test to test the bearings on each tires.

I can attest to that... 10k on it and still going... What will happen if I keep putting it off, besides bad tire wear? :rolleyes:

I should get it changed soon though as I think I can now feel a little movement in the o'clock test where as before I could not... Not to be a thread hijacker, but do you have the part number for the whole hub assembly (drivers side front, late 1995) with the bearing already in it from TFP Ray?

Last edited:
Back