• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to get rear trailing arms for 98 SVT?

Torquemonster

CEG'er
Small shop actually jacked up my car from the freaking trailing arm and bent it. They hammered it back as straight as they could. I'm so freaking pissed...but they area already trying to get out of paying for their mistake. Who the hell would look at that piece and think they can raise the back that way....unless they didnt see right adn thought it was the control arm or what ever....

Anyway I'll talk to them tomorrow but I have a feeling they wont do anything. Are those parts even available anymore? Are they hard to replace?

That happened to me. The shop was able to straighten it so it doesn't look too bad. I insisted that they align the car to confirm it was properly straightened. It aligned up fine. You may not have the same results.

Last I knew those arms were still available. If nothing else, I'm sure you could find usable ones in a wrecking yard or from someone here that is parting out a Contour.

Thanks guys. After poking around all day, I found a local ford dealer that had one in stock for not too bad a price. Picked it up.

Who the hell would look at that piece and think they can raise the back that way....unless they didnt see right adn thought it was the control arm or what ever....

Who jacks a car by the control arm anyway? Unibody cars are meant to be raised by the pinch weld.

Sounds like you learned the hard way what shop to avoid. Replacement of the trailing arm is easy, basically two bolts. Trailing arm length affects caster which is irrelevant on the rear wheels. Just bolt it up and go. No alignment should be needed, unless you can get it done for free by that shop.

Who jacks a car by the control arm anyway? Unibody cars are meant to be raised by the pinch weld.

Sounds like you learned the hard way what shop to avoid. Replacement of the trailing arm is easy, basically two bolts. Trailing arm length affects caster which is irrelevant on the rear wheels. Just bolt it up and go. No alignment should be needed, unless you can get it done for free by that shop.

This is incomplete information. Changing any alignment angle effects all the others in some degree or another. Changing either caster or camber alters toe dramatically. Even doing a touch up small toe adjustment makes very slight changes in caster and camber. It is interesting to watch the readings change on the screen as you make the adjustment.

The first clue that my car had been lifted wrong was that steering wheel was cocked nearly 45 degrees to one side while going straight down the road. I pulled over and looked underneath and found the arm bent.

Lots of small shops do sadly. On my 626 with aftermarket tubular arms they started to do it once before I caught them and griped about not paying attention.

Back