• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blown engine - go 3L or get a new car?

SVTED

Veteran CEG'er
hey guys I have a SVT sitting in my garage right now. Long story short, engine blew, threw a rod. Not sure if the block is usable for a rebuild.

So I'm just considering my options. Get a 3L, tune, and upgrade the clutch for 3k or so. Or I let the car go and get a new car. Still in school and I'm not sure if I want to deal with any potential problems with the car if they arise while I'm at school. The car's also been sitting for a while so I'm not sure what else the car might need other than the engine. It was completely fine before the engine went, so I'm assuming/hoping it'll start right up after the swap and I'll be able to drive around again.

The other option is my parents are willing to buy me a new car. They won't budge on the criteria of it has to be an auto. So I tried to work around this and am trying to get a new VW GTI with the DSG. I'm not too sure if the parents are willing to stretch that far, but I think it's possible.

I think I'm leaning towards the SVT option. As nice as the GTI is, SVT was and is my first car. Also I probably won't be driving too much after the summer when school starts up again. Not really a fan of the idea of taking a brand spanking new car to school anyway.

Your opinions?

To anwser your orginal question, if you're parents are willing to buy you a new car I'd go with that. If you really like the SVT then in the future you can get yourself one when you have more time/money to deal with it. If you're working on school then I'd take the easy route. ARe your parents willing to rebuild the engine?

Back