• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BLEH! Loss In Power

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
So, I would say its been going on for about 5000 miles now. I drive a 2.5L V6 SE with about 87XXX on it right now. The problem is, anytime I get on the gas, it feels like its sluggish. Its not running as strong as it used to. Can you guys throw some ideas as to what it might be? Also, recently I installed new iridium spark plugs not but about 1000 miles ago.

Also, another thing. When I DO get on the throttle, I can hear somewhat of a spooling sound, or rather, like the engine is trying to suck in air or something. I asked around and heard a few things like, it could be a bad A/F ratio and your car isn't getting enough air, or SOMETHING like that, or, their might be a whole in a hose or something.

Any advice/help would be amazing
Thanks
Mike

These cars love Autolite plugs. I'd say switch to those. As for the spooling sound...you sure you didn't install a turbo.:laugh:j/k

Maybe just try a basic tune up. I'm sure it'll help a little.

Man, but the spark plugs were a PITA. My hands were just small enough to BARELY fit in the back. But that couldn't really be why its seems a lot slower now could it?

And yeah, I WISH

Some cars like Iridiums and others dont. Its a semi-cheap switch back to the double platinums we know work.

Bleh! Wrong forum :)

a problem, or unknown condition = Troubleshooting.

If the exhaust hisses, you have a plugged catalytic converter. Also, check the wiring/firing order of your plugs.

From Tony 2005:

Spark plug wiring order.
Note that it is 4- 6- 5 at the coil pack by the firewall side.

V6 Duratec Spark Plug Wiring order
Firewall side
4- 6 -5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
Radiator side

Spark Plug gap 0.054 inch

I'd go ahead and pull it out now and go back to a nice paper filter. The K&Ns are known to cause problems with the MAF which could result in the power loss you're describing.

So, I dont know what I did, but I fixed the spooling sound problem. Now, back to the loss in power.

It did seem like, when I first got the filter that it was oiled quite a bit. So I dont know. I might check into that some and possibly buy another?

Buy another regular paper filter, not another K&N. You dont need that filter oil messing with anything.

Buy another regular paper filter, not another K&N. You dont need that filter oil messing with anything.

Agreed. I'll drop by Walmart to pick up a FRAM filter today or so. Also, I cleaned out the MAF sensor. Am I to expect any difference in performance as well?

Agreed. I'll drop by Walmart to pick up a FRAM filter today or so. Also, I cleaned out the MAF sensor. Am I to expect any difference in performance as well?

Do you mean a drop in performance from switching back to a paper filter or a gain in performance from cleaning the MAF?

I've heard that the oil from the filter contaminates MAF if the filter is over oiled.

I agree with you guys who are gunshy about K&N usage.

Sh*t, the MAF can get fouled even when the filter is not over oiled. I sprayed the lightest coating of oil I could on mine, and it still buggered the sensor. I'd been using K&Ns for years, but after the second MAF issue -- gone. I run a paper filter, which means my car is bone ass stock. :cool:

Back