• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing a side skirt

Dave98SVT

CEG'er
Can someone tell me what is involved when removing a sideskirt and the best way to do this? I tried a search but I could not find any posts on this topic except for one that mentioned a tool needed to remove some clips.

No clips. Just pull all the plastic rivets out and pull the skirt out. Takes about 5 minutes.

Just putting the plastic rivets back will be able to secure it properly??

and should you use new ones Todd?

i have wondered this as well. i need to pull mine off a clean them inside and out. i know there is a lot of sand type dirt inside. how is got there i don't know. guess thats the 100k miles.

that and fix a rust bubble before it gets worse.

just unbolt.. and lift up.

There's tabs that slide down into clips to make the skirt sit flush with the body.

Just to add to this (I just had to remove mine):

1)There should be a Phillips screw on each end of both sideskirts
2) There will be plastic plugs alone the underside of both sideskirts
3) The plastic plugs have two parts: an outer sleeve which is the plug and an inner plastic screw. The inner plastic screen needs to be removed first to properly remove the plastic plug. The plastic inner screws have a Phillips head and often are so delicate that they will strip out and not come out when turning them left. To help get them out, pry the two part plug out slightly with a flat screwdriver, then attempt to pry out only the inner screw, it should come straight out without much force (assuming you can get the screwdriver under its head)
4)Once the end screws and plastic plugs are out, the sideskirts should easily lift up and away from the car (sliding out of the metal guides which the tabs of the sideskirt fit into).

These sideskirts fill up on both ends with sand and road dirt very easily and should be cleaned out occasionally to reduce weight (about a total of 10 pounds of wet sand for me) and help reduce strain on the sideskirts. The weight (as in my case) will begin to warp and crack the sideskirt.

honestly you only need the two bolts on each end when you reinstall them, they're secure enough.

makes it easier to pop them off in the winter so snow doesn't build up and ruin them.

Back