• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Stalls at random after being at highway speeds...

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, I thought this issue was gone but it happened again yesterday....

If i'm cruising on the highway/expressway at 65-75mph for any extended period of time (when it happened I had cruise set at 72mph for about an hour or so), and push the clutch in and take the car out of gear to coast down for a thruway toll booth or stoplight or whatever, the car will, at random stall.

Now I did this last summer once or twice and then was fine again. When it does do it, the car fires right back up as if nothing even happened.

The car has 125k on it. Recent maintenace, plugs/wires, pcv valve at 100k, fuel filter at 120k and that's all I think could pertain to the issue...

Any thoughts? I was thinking maybe my IAC valve is starting to go although no moosing issues or other idling issues.

This sounds like what is happening to me and my '95 Zetec... It has randomly stalled three times within the past couple months... Twice it happened at the end of a highway off ramp just like you, and once at a light after some hard acceleration :rolleyes:

stall means turn off?

my car randmly stall and was the fuse box the main red wires have a false contact just replace them with a used ones and never again have problems

Yup, it'll stutter for a few seconds, trying to stay alive then just quit.

loose the fuse block in the engine bay, move the fuse box and try to star the car if star you have a false contact in the same wiring i have is a big red wires 2 of them connect in the middle of the fusse box one of the fusse box.

I have the same problem. The said my air flow regulator was closing causing the engine to turn off... Then again, they didn't even fix the problem so...

Yup, it'll stutter for a few seconds, trying to stay alive then just quit.

Yours studders? Mine just shuts off smoothly... I do not even feel it and do not notice it until I see the oil light on the dash... One time coming off the highway I though the car was still running until I put it in first and did not go anywhere, LOL...

Yours studders? Mine just shuts off smoothly... I do not even feel it and do not notice it until I see the oil light on the dash... One time coming off the highway I though the car was still running until I put it in first and did not go anywhere, LOL...

Yea, it's like it tries to stay alive... I've got 94A mounts so you feel everything the engine does... lol

I've got a spare IAC valve, maybe i'll try that... Eh, car has 125k it's probably time for a UIM/LIM rebuild... :D

Yea, it's like it tries to stay alive... I've got 94A mounts so you feel everything the engine does... lol

I've got a spare IAC valve, maybe i'll try that... Eh, car has 125k it's probably time for a UIM/LIM rebuild... :D

Yeah mine has 122xxx miles- Probably over-due for something... Not a safe problem to have though, mine has died on me mid-turn at a light

See now this is a hit or a miss situation.

See mine was my mass air flow meter sensor. I got elec cleaner, and sprayed the sensor clean. I also cleaned my TB and it never happened again.

Mine is dying smoothly also after high speeds. I have a Pro-flow MAF though so I am going to try and head out to the junkyard one of these days and get an OEM MAF. Hoping that fixes it :/

My '00 SVT will die coming off the highway as well. Nice and smooth, but fires right back up. It will do it every now and then, but only once has it died mid turn. I got her pointed in the right direction and fired her back up before even coming to a stop!

this happens to me too once in a while. no one tho has been able to pinpoint the exact culprit. MAF, IAC, TB, etc. could be any of them. my suggestion is start cleaning them one after the other.

lol mine did this to me 3 times as well, i dont notice until im about to turn and realize the power steering isnt working :help: ! ill have to keep an eye on this thread

Back