• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

well I know what the stock can handle now

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I had a clean 20k motor running and tuned perfect I was having trouble keeping the wheel on the ground with 8 psi on a 3 liter motor with all the SVT parts on it.

I added a new BB boost controller and failed to read the directions..............hmmm so like most boost controllers I backed off the screw on the side one turn to see where we ended up. The car pulled 9 psi and it was very strong so I go under the hood and turn one more turn. Now most should know that one turn equals one boost approximately well. I made the turn hop in the car and get into third gear. I start at 2k rpms floor the car and watched the boost guage it literally went from 2 psi to 15-16psi in a snap and I went to get off the gas and before i could do that BAM the rod went through the block instantly.

Well disgusted and puzzled I knew what happened to motro but why did the boost controller respond so crazy to one turn..........I didn't read the instruction that the top cap on the BB was the fine tune knob so I basically hand grenaded the motor due to stupidity of not becoming familar with the new Boost Controller.

To compute what the numbers were I put down 13 psi over 400whp with a 8:1 motor and this being a 10.1:1 at 15 psi means it was in the area of 500whp for one second darn I have my weekend cut out for me now.

I will be swapping the motor out this week and reading the instructions again.........We now know the which is no brainer that the motor can't handle 15 psi so I would expect the stock is 13 psi max if not less based on A/F.
The A/F was really safe 11.5 while turning up the boost so it was to much shock load for the rods.
I will post up pics when I pull the scrap metal engine out of the car..........Man I rather do this as a hobby ......now..........lol

Ahhh Wow...

I hate to say it, but this is the worst way to find out what our stock motors can handle :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Joey - do you think 2 psi more and 2:1 more compression netted an extra 100 whp? No doubt it was pushing a lot of power, but it seems a bit optimistic imho. :shrug:

Sorry to hear about your motor though. You've gotta be pretty quick at doing these swaps by now. :D

A similar thing happened when my brother put the manual boost controller on our car. He was hitting upwards of 19-20 psi for a few sprinted runs with a friend when it only had a base tune for 8 psi. Luckily, it didn't blow anything.

If it makes you feel better, I just designed a new conveyor setup to put in the Houma, LA UPS center... Baker is next... :shrug: Yeah, I got nothing...

Last edited:
Joey - do you think 2 psi more and 2:1 more compression netted an extra 100 whp? No doubt it was pushing a lot of power, but it seems a bit optimistic imho. :shrug:

Sorry to hear about your motor though. You've gotta be pretty quick at doing these swaps by now. :D

A similar thing happened when my brother put the manual boost controller on our car. He was hitting upwards of 19-20 psi for a few sprinted runs with a friend when it only had a base tune for 8 psi. Luckily, it didn't blow anything.

may be 2 psi....but the cfm is much greater depending on the turbo.

man that does suck though about your block.

may be 2 psi....but the cfm is much greater depending on the turbo.

man that does suck though about your block.

well it is a 60 trim turbo I may be stretching the whp a little but it was over 450whp for sure because it was 15 psi plus more I glanced at it and it sprung up so fast the guage surged bad. The turbo was able to spin to full boost because the boost controller bled all the air off because of my screw-up. I found the hole in the block it was right behind the A/C compressor where the rod poke a hole at. I will have the setup put today I may take some snap shots of the internals. Joey

Quick question.This was on a stock motor...correct.Well do we know the limits yet with forged internals?

Edit-If I remeber correctly joey you had your fully built motor spin a bearing,but in a lter post you came to the conclusion that is was due to lack of lubrication because of a light weight oil.Well what do you it could handle if proper weight oil is used with forged internals? Thanxs

Last edited:
guess its time to shot peen the rods on your next build. Would be nice to cut some billet rods though. Sorry to hear the engine, but dayum thats cool.

Quick question.This was on a stock motor...correct.Well do we know the limits yet with forged internals?

Edit-If I remeber correctly joey you had your fully built motor spin a bearing,but in a lter post you came to the conclusion that is was due to lack of lubrication because of a light weight oil.Well what do you it could handle if proper weight oil is used with forged internals? Thanxs

Well I know if it was a built bottome end it would have handle the shock load with no problem. My built motor can handle up to 800hp where the rods ae damn near unbreakable but the piston are the weakest link because the ring lands would break off first. Yeah this is the first duratec I know that had snapped a rod literelly in half due to loads. Here is a pic of the hole in the block and one before I took the motor out

Kids Park 2008 005.jpg

two small holes and i can see the rod hanging inside too.
April 27 027.jpg

Such a shame to happen to such a good looking block. Did it come that clean or is it painted?

I cleaned primed/painted/cleared the block which is my weakness I can't put a motor in a car without painting it even if the customer does not pay for it. Yeah the motor had 18k on it was a strong motor no blowby and didn't smoke at all but poor rod never stood a chance over 15 psi in the motor. Joey

I thought the limit of the forged bottom end motors (2.5L & 3.0L) was 23psi... when the ARP bolts give out and the heads lift. I know TheFordGuy had his forged 2.5L to 23psi when that happened... I thought someone else with a forged 3.0L had it happen at the same psi.

Back