• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbos from the back

genesis14

CEG'er
Hey I was just watching speed tv and I can't remember which show it was but they where twin turboing a 'vette, but the turbos were in the BACK of the car. Basically eliminating the mufflers and placing a *crap* load of tubing running from the back to the front intercooler. Could this possibly work on the contours who are tight for space or for those that want to twin turbo their 'tours? the web page that they took the turbos from was www.ststurbo.com . Its kinda funky.

I really need to add this question to the FAQ.

Some guy pretty much posted the exact same thing last month..was watching the speed channel and saw this.

The short answer:

Yes it can work on any car. Why havent people ran an STS system? Because theres plenty of room under the hood for a large single turbo.

I guess what would you accomplish by running twin turbos from the back? My single turbo system is going to make just as much power as your twin turbo system and my single turbo system just cost me a lot less than your twin turbo system. You could be the first to say you had twin turbos, thats about it imho LOL.

Btw, run a search in these forums as well as the old forums for STS and you'll find a massive amount of threads on it.

Im blind and I've lost my search button... Someone please help me find it :cry:

i've got a setup on my car thats just be sorted i'm in the uk and its the same set up as the old rally cars and F1 cars its a great system and even better if room is tight imho!!!!

Well I know that alot of guys are converting twin turbos over to a larger single turbo just because of the weight and simplicity factor. I was just wondering because it seems like a different project. Personally I would rather have the turbo under the hood because that way the turbo is at least protected. I mean whats stopping people from crawling under your car at night and cutting some tubing and viola .. turbo is gone.

and then theres that one little detail that prevents people from running a high boost and power setup that makes a twin setup seem worthles; three little words.. front wheel drive.. the power is useless unless you can put it to the ground. anything close to 400 horse and up on any front driver, especially the csvts, is useless in the first 2-3 gears. and due to the terrible aerodynamic design of these cars, most wont climb past 150-160 even at 500 hp. its just not worth it..

I have a remote turbo set that a did myself. It is a blast to drive. It's not as easy as think to steal a turbo from back there most people want even know it's back there because you can't see it. At first I was scared of turbo lag but it has great throddle responses.

and due to the terrible aerodynamic design of these cars, most wont climb past 150-160 even at 500 hp. its just not worth it..

I'm sorry... WHAT???

"These cars" have an unusually GOOD aerodynamic design. Their Coefficient of Drag is incredibly low, especially for a sedan!

The reason they won't climb past 150-160 has NOTHING TO DO WITH aerodynamics and everything (at least in this case) to do with GEARING.

All the power in the world won't change your gear ratio.

Did you say this because it sounded good to you, or....

I'm sorry... WHAT???

"These cars" have an unusually GOOD aerodynamic design. Their Coefficient of Drag is incredibly low, especially for a sedan!

The reason they won't climb past 150-160 has NOTHING TO DO WITH aerodynamics and everything (at least in this case) to do with GEARING.

All the power in the world won't change your gear ratio.

Did you say this because it sounded good to you, or....

i didnt think that made sense either. a friggn bus could do 200m/h if its given the power and tranny:shrug:

Dodge Viper GTS - Cd .35
Ferrari F430 - Cd .34
McClaren F1 - Cd .32
Contour SVT - Cd .31

I can see why you would say the Aerodynamic design is terrible.

Granted the above figures don't take into the frontal area of the cars, but the Contours is not very high... especially for a sedan.

Dodge Viper GTS - Cd .35
Ferrari F430 - Cd .34
McClaren F1 - Cd .32
Contour SVT - Cd .31

I can see why you would say the Aerodynamic design is terrible.

Granted the above figures don't take into the frontal area of the cars, but the Contours is not very high... especially for a sedan.

I'm dumb. Lower number means less resistance? :shrug:

yes.. simply put, that is the amount of drag you have on the car.

Like stated above, it doesn't take in to account frontal AREA of the car (of which, the SVT has more than a Ferrari, or McClaren) but in general, the car is an INCREDIBLY aerodynamic vehicle, for just about ANY class, much less a 4-door sedan.

Its one of the few cars whose body kit (in the SVT version) actually HELPS, and isn't "just" looks.

oh.. i was under the impression that the contours had insufficient aerodynamic properties. oops. guess i was wrong. sorry :blackeye: ... and yes the gearing is a major drawback. the 4.06 final drive. i would much have the transmission out of the bondurant car, 3.83 (or something like that) final drive..

oh.. i was under the impression that the contours had insufficient aerodynamic properties. oops. guess i was wrong. sorry :blackeye: ... and yes the gearing is a major drawback. the 4.06 final drive. i would much have the transmission out of the bondurant car, 3.83 (or something like that) final drive..
If you intsall a Zetec final drive you can have the 3.84 ratio.

the gears arent interchangable like that, are they? i though the mtx75s had sealed cases so you cant change the gears?

if they had sealed cases then how do alot of us install the quafe and torsen differentials? :troutslap: to install the zetec FD you install the ring gear from a zetec trans onto the differential and install the pinion gear from the output shaft of a zetec onto the output shaft of your trans.

Of course, the 3.84 is only netting you a 6% change in gear ratio. It isn't going to get you to 180mph or anything else as ridiculous. It will "help" in lowering your cruise revs but won't be a single answer for that "160+++" speed you are looking for.

There's just all kind of stupidity here...

1) Horrible aerodynamics and impossible to change final drive? You own what...4 CSVTs? One would think that you might know something about them.
2) Search STS? 3 character searches don't work.

i do know "something" about them.. and again, im only 18, im still learning. so give me a break.. im glad i have more accurate information now. thank you.. and i dont own all 4, technically i only own 2. theres just 4 here at my household.

Back