• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fabulous ford forever one pic

They sold a few different versions of the Saleen Explorer.

The XP6 (V6 and only offered in 1998) and the XP8 (V8 and offered in 1998-2001). The XP6 had the same specs as the regular V6 Explorer and same for the XP8, unless they had the optional Saleen S/C installed. They had many different colors and wheel options. They also offered an optional Recaro interior, carbon fiber hood, and premium sound.

Production numbers were very low on both models and almost no two Saleen Explorers are alike because of the options and colors offered.

The XP6 was pretty much an accident on Saleens part. The wrong model Explorers were ordered and modified. I think there is something like 9 ever made. The XP8 had about 120 or so.

(Yeah, I've been looking into buying one. :laugh: )

I saw one in person once. Really nice truck...not really worth the pricetag though. Even now they're selling a little high.

Configuration:
Front Engine/RWD

Engine:
Supercharged V8

Displacement:
5000 cc

Horsepower:
286 bhp @ ---- rpm

Torque:
333 lb-ft @ ---- rpm

Max RPM:
Unavailable

I also was lucky to see and be driven in one. I liked it in all honesty. It kinda reminded me of the lighting:shrug:
fast suv -truck you know:cool:

Both pictures RRT posted are from the Saleen car show in Irvine,CA that happens once a year in September.

Fabulous Fords Forever (FFF) ocurs in April each year at the amusment park, Knots Berry Farm, in Buena Park, CA.

I've never made the FFF car show although I was in OC for 4-days last week and should have spent another night in Huntington Beach so that I could have checked it out.

I attended the Saleen show in 2005 and the arrangement of cars including the Saleen Explorer is almost exactly what I recall seeing in their many displays.

(Yeah, I've been looking into buying one. :laugh: )

How are the prices on them now? Are they stilling holding any value?

BTW there used to be a dark blue one running around pittsburgh years ago, but I have no idea what ever happened to it.

How are the prices on them now? Are they stilling holding any value?

BTW there used to be a dark blue one running around pittsburgh years ago, but I have no idea what ever happened to it.

Maybe that was the one I saw recently for sale. It was listed on Autotrader or Cars.com.

It was dark blue, located in PA, only 34 or 39k miles on it for $13k. :drool:

That is it? I would assume that is at the crank. Sad that an engine that size AND supercharged makes so little power.

I believe that the V8 in the saleen explorer would be the same 302 that was in the 5.0 mustangs. Those mustangs are around 225 stock so it makes sense that the S/C version of the Saleen explorer on low boost only made around 290.

I guess the person that took the first pic doesn't like trucks, because the explorer isn't in it. Upon searching I found this, the REAL pic. Enjoy.

1212113.fourSaleens.jpg

Pic works for me :shrug:

the pics were taken at different times. notice the different angle of the shot, also notice the people in the second one behind the 'stang.

1212125threeSaleens.jpg

a pic from fabulous friend take the pic

This photo (and the other one) would have been taken at the Saleen Show in September of 2003 -- possibly 2004, but I'm leaning toward 2003. I'm thinking both were taken the same day. The Mustang would be a 2003 or 2004, given the presence of the Focus. If this photo was taken at the 2004 show, then the 2005 Saleen Mustang that had not been revealed quite yet would have been in the manufacturing plant partially uncovered.

The Saleen Focus (the yellow car on the left) was produced in the 2004 and 2005 model years.

The center car is the silver Saleen Contour show car. This was debuted at a SEMA show back in the early days of SVT Contour history, in the late 1990s. It never made it into production, and is really considered more of a styling exercise. Someone here bought it a few months back when Saleen was cleaning house, and it now resides at its new home far away from California.

The XP8 shown in the other pic likely would have been on display as a leftover executive or press vehicle, though since they ended production in 2001, it was probably deemed worthy of display.

The last Saleen show held at the Irvine facility was in September of 2006. Starting in summer of 2007, just shortly after Steve Saleen resigned from the company, the controlling interest of Saleen Inc. started dismantling Steve's Southern California empire and began moving it to Michigan. The 2007 "Saleen Show" was a makeshift event held as part of Fun Ford Weekend in October.

If anyone cares to research the Focus or the XP line (there were a few 6-cylinders but most were 8s), you can visit the vehicle Literature or Production pages at soec.org. The Contour is being researched, and there isn't much to say at this time other than it's a unique piece of Saleen and Contour history.

That silver one is a saleen Tempo right? :shrug:

That's a Contour, as explained elsewhere.

The "Saleen Tempo" is something, it seems, that some at Saleen would rather history forget about. I have yet to see a photo, but I am assured it exists in some form or another -- as a styling exercise or a special edition prototype.

Back in '92 or so I did a road test on a V6 5-speed Tempo GLS, and I thought it was a rather neat car. It would have made an interesting platform for a Saleen 4-door... much like the Contour did a few years later as an SVT model.

Back