• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installing new hose ??

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
Question for you all. I have never had to change a brake line in a vehicle before, just one of those things. Well, my rear brake hose (the rubber one) popped off the strut and rubbed against the tire, making a nice hole. I ordered the new hose and was looking over the Haynes manual. Is there a special wrench I need to loosen the fittings? What exactly is a flare nut wrench? The caption says something about it, but the directions say just to use two wrenches. Does it matter? Any feedback would be appreciated. :cool: Thanks.

i have a question to add to this:

when changing a brake like do you just do it as fast as you can before it all drips out? Ive only changed calipers. plan on swapping in my s.s. soon.

sorry to high jack this

Flared nut wrenches are recommended on brake fittings because the fittings are of a softer metal than a typical nut. The flared wrenches grip more area around the nut spreading the applied torque more than a standard wrench. In a pinch, standard wrenches can be used, but great care must be taken to not strip the wrenching surfaces of the fittings. The two wrenches comment is intended for non-hard mounted fittings, like a tube union, where turning a wrench on one side of the fitting can twist the tube on the other side. In these cases you should always use two wrenches, whether they are flared or not.

Jon,

In regards to your question, yes, basically. You have all your parts prepared as best you can before opening the lines. If you must leave them open, get an appropriate plug for the fittings being left open, and use a large cup or drop tray to catch the dripping brake fluid (brake fluid does nasty things to painted surfaces). And whatever you do, avoid letting the master cylinder reservoir run dry. If even a tiny bubble of air gets into the master cylinder, it will make bleeding the system significantly more difficult once you are done changing parts.

This important time-saving tip brought to you by Getsum111. When re-installing the hose, begin tightening at the caliper, and work your way back, otherwise, you will need to start all over again. :eek: :laugh:

Installed, and working great. Thanks again, Rara. :cool:

DO NOT USE PBBLASTER!!!!!

PBBlaster eats rubber! You should never use it around rubber, aka brake lines and CV Boots. Use WD40! SS lines are just rubber lines stiffened by SS.

-Andy

Back