• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Broken shifter Cables

I Broke the cable ends to my shift linkage, had the entire cable replaced,I then drove 20 miles and the linkage cable actually broke in half,got it replaced (at a ford dealership)then about 200 miles later that same thing the cable broke in half. I wasnt shifting to hard from 2-3 the first time at about 4.5rpms and then from 3-4 at about 5k am I doing something wrong? I know how to shift any suggestions

I Broke the cable ends to my shift linkage, had the entire cable replaced,I then drove 20 miles and the linkage cable actually broke in half,got it replaced (at a ford dealership)then about 200 miles later that same thing the cable broke in half. I wasnt shifting to hard from 2-3 the first time at about 4.5rpms and then from 3-4 at about 5k am I doing something wrong? I know how to shift any suggestions
Well, since you asked the question, IMHO I'd have to answer yes! FWIW, the rpms aren't the problem. It's the manner in which you are moving the shifter. Slow and deliberate shifts are what works best on cable equipped shifters. There's a link to a Ford promotional video for the 98 SVT somewhere on this site and if you watch it, you'll notice that the driver does not move the shifter very fast - especially through the gate between 2nd and 3rd gear. This isn't an earlier rod shift model or an American muscle car 4 speed. You didn't say how long you've owned the car or how long cables have been breaking (or how long you've been driving for that matter) but it seems to me that you are going to have to adapt your driving style to the car's strengths and weaknesses before you get any real joy out of it.
Karl

Something was done wrong. You should be able to shift the car however you want. Of course harder will reduce axle, clutch and transmission life. SVT SNOB is the only one I know that broke a cable. It's very hard to do. I'm wondering if they were installed wrong. It's not a fun job at all.

thanks for the replys. the cables where put in correctly I would hope I had them done at the ford dealearship. I got the fist set of cables from tousley and the seconed set from Superior Ford.

Ive been driving a stick for over 10 years its not how I shift. I talked to ford dealership today they are going to replace the cables again and they say they are going to look in to the issue I'll Let you know what I find out:rolleyes:

Back