• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Found this pre-order...

For those interested in insane amounts of linear displacement, great SQ, and aren't afraid of a large(r) box...

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=681

The original Maelstrom was a great sub... now with XBL^2 and shorting rings. Insane 33mm xmax (equivalent to the old Adire tumults I think). It's all for about $350!!! I'm ordering one and i'll post a review on it when i receive it sometime early May. For the amount of performance you're getting, i doubt anything comes close :drool:

thanks for the link, i might have to check this out. I'm looking into purchasing a van soon so I'll have the room for the box

I was originally gonna get the Tempest-X from www.acoustic-visions.com, but ran into the pre-order of the Maelstrom-X while looking for reviews of the Tempest-X. Judging from the specs, the maelstrom-x would be great in either ported or sealed box for cars. It shows very nice promise for very large ported in home use. Nothing like 7L of swept volume displacement.

If i recall correctly, the BTL has a standard underhung motor. It has a lot more power handling, but a slightly higher Fs. No shorting rings, or anything much special, other than the higher power handling, and underhung motor. In my opinion i'd say the BTL (fully loaded) will have higher output above 50hz, but overall SQ and frequency below 50hz... especially under 30hz, the Maelstrom takes the cake.

SPL contest, BTL hands down.

Back