• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rough idle

8000RPM

CEG'er
i have a problem. when engine is cold, and i start the car, it idles really rough. rpms are low and the whole car is shaking hard. it doesn't do it when engine is hot. it goes like that for about 30-40 seconds and then it stabilizes and goes to normal idle. before i was getting a CEL for 3rd cylinder misfireing, and i fixed that problem (or at least i think i did - found a little plastic piece between the plug and the cable's boot), reset the ECU but still the same problem. could i need new cables? i am not getting any cel's now...

The standard starting point to a problem like this is replace the plugs and wires. Then move on from there.

Rough Idle

Rough Idle

I would take a look at regular maintainence items. Plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter. If these are new or nearly new then start with spark quality with the coil. Then look at intake issues Maf, IAC & TPS. Clean the throttle body and check for vacuum leaks. See where that takes you. Dan

Back