• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

First Post, Installing Zetec in a Buggy

Zetec in a Buggy

New CEG'er
Hello All, I'm installing a 98 Contour Zetec into my dune buggy and actually have it almost complete. It's completely installed and has been driven around the neighborhood, can't drive on the streets until I get my taillights and muffler installed and figure out the rich running issue. I am using everything stock exept the fuel system up to the stock rail, the intake and exhaust. It is a Fiber Glass Manx Type Buggy with VW suspension, and trans, and is street legal, but doesn't need to be inspected because it's registered as a '73 Buggy.

I have a couple of questions about the engine that I can't seem to find anywhere.

1. Can I get engine harness connectors to replace broken ones, such as the CPS and Temp Sender, others needed also, but aren't completely broken like the two listed.

2. Are there pictures, names and locations of engine components to help better identify if problems arrise? Such as the cylindrical component on the end of the fuel rail (has a vacuum line), the two sensors below the fuel rail what are they and what do they do?

3. I am using the computer, but don't care about CEL's unless they alter the engine management. Do I NEED the exhaust gas sensors for engine management or do they just turn on CEL's? I have been told different things here. I need to know for sure. What about a Vehicle Speed Sensor, does this alter engine management or is it mainly used for Odo, Speedo, and Cruise?

4. At this time it's running very rich and hesitates at high rpms when under load. Any early diagnostics on this from anyone is welcome. I still need to still install a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel system as soon as I find an inline Fuel Injected unit that will work. What is the fuel pressure needed for the 98 Contour? This might be my issue with the rich running because of the lack of correct fuel pressure. Is the stock FPR installed in the tank, which end is the input and exit?

This is all of my Q's for now, thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

Mark in Raleigh, NC

1. Can I get engine harness connectors to replace broken ones, such as the CPS and Temp Sender, others needed also, but aren't completely broken like the two listed.

Might just want to check a junkyard and splice them in, or you can talk to a guy named Bill Jenkins, who works at a Ford dealership and hooks up CEG'rs. You can find his contact info/website listed here:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=40
2. Are there pictures, names and locations of engine components to help better identify if problems arrise? Such as the cylindrical component on the end of the fuel rail (has a vacuum line), the two sensors below the fuel rail what are they and what do they do?

Check www.autozone.com , they have pretty good diagrams. i think you are describing the fuel pressure regulator. At least, that's where mine is (But I also have the 2.5 V-6, so I'm not sure.)

3. I am using the computer, but don't care about CEL's unless they alter the engine management. Do I NEED the exhaust gas sensors for engine management or do they just turn on CEL's? I have been told different things here. I need to know for sure. What about a Vehicle Speed Sensor, does this alter engine management or is it mainly used for Odo, Speedo, and Cruise?

I'm going to guess yes, but check under the Zetec forums to make sure.

4. At this time it's running very rich and hesitates at high rpms when under load. Any early diagnostics on this from anyone is welcome. I still need to still install a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel system as soon as I find an inline Fuel Injected unit that will work. What is the fuel pressure needed for the 98 Contour? This might be my issue with the rich running because of the lack of correct fuel pressure. Is the stock FPR installed in the tank, which end is the input and exit?

Again, I'll let the zetec gurus answer this one. Good luck! :cool:

I have been told different things about CEL's. Not all CEL's will throw the ECU into limp. Which ones do? I'm going to have CEL's for everything from ABS, AC, PS, etc.

Have you checked out any of the homebuilt lotus 7 forums. The zetec motor is a very common engine to be found in those cars and there should be stickies on how to make it work in your situation. My suggestion is to completely avoid using any ecu all together. Especially the oe one. You can get carbs or even indavidual throttle bodies that are a direct bolt on. Go to some place like msd for the ignition you need, and get a thermostat control switch for your fan. All this should not be too much more money then what you would spend trying to get the new harness and make it work. But the time and agony that you'll be spared will make it more than worth it.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to check out some of the Lotus 7 forums since this is all custom. I wanted to stay mostly stock for reliability. These are great engines and since it's pushing a 1200 lb car I figured it would last forever.

I still can't get a definate answer on O2 sensors though. Do they actually modify engine management or just moniter and throw CEL's if needed.

Mark

Thanks for your help. I'll have to check out some of the Lotus 7 forums since this is all custom. I wanted to stay mostly stock for reliability. These are great engines and since it's pushing a 1200 lb car I figured it would last forever.

I still can't get a definate answer on O2 sensors though. Do they actually modify engine management or just moniter and throw CEL's if needed.

Mark

I think they just monitor. On my 3.0L/turbo application I had, my tune had the 02 sensors turned off completely.

I'll throw my 2 cents in...

The VSS does not throw a CEL at all, mine disentigrated and I didnt have a CEL. But it makes a very harsh ride in the ATX. You cannot get into 4th gear, you'll have no speedometer, shifting is eratic and very harsh. Not recommend to go very far w/o it working.

If you haven't already, I'd replace the O2 sensors. That could be the reason your running rich. Or your catalytic converter is bad/going bad.

I don't have a cat in the exhaust since I don't need inspections. I still need to get my final exhaust finished, it is a 4 into 1 upturned header with a direct pipe to a Suzuki 1000 stock bike exhaust. I can't wait to hear it when done. When I finish the exhaust, I'll hook up both O2 sensors and see what happens, between that and the fuel pressure regulator, I hope the rich running will go away.

Mark in Raleigh, NC

the upstream O2 sensor monitors the A/F ratio and the PCM uses that to adjust the fuel trims as necessary. the downstream sensor only monitors cat efficiency and should be turned off in a tune or an MIL eliminator installed.

the thing on the fuel rail is probably the Fuel pressure regulator. there is only one sensor under it, that would be the camshaft position sensor (needed for ignition timing).

the VSS should not alter engine managment and you can probably turn it off in a tune (just like you would the rear/downstream O2 sensor).

if you have a return style fuel system (which i think you do from your description of the thing on the fuel rail) then you can replace the FPR with an adjustable unit from aeromotive for a mustang (you can find it cheaper if you search). fuel pressure, IIRC, should be about 40PSI for the zetec.

If you get a pic of anything that you have questions about im sure i can answer the questions quickly.

Fwiw, the O2 sensor issue depends on which O2 sensor you are talking about.

There will be two sensors, an upstream one (located pretty close to where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head) and a downstream one, located after the catalytic convertor. The dowsntream one is there to measure the efficiency of the cat, and make sure it is functioning properly. If it is unhooked, the ECU will go into what is called "cat protect" and dump extra fuel, and you don't want this. The upstream O2 is used for pretty much all fuel calculations in closed loop operation.

My advice would be to keep the upstream O2, and use a "chip" or tuning device to have the downstream O2 shut off (like beyondloadedse described, but he really only had the downstream shutoff, not the upstream). The other benefit of having the setup tuned, is you can optimize the engine performance for the modifications you have made to fit the engine into the buggy.

It's raining, I can't get pics NOW. But, I'll get them soon.

RARA, I have been told so many different things dealing with O2 sensors, you seem to know what you are talking about. Any where I can get a second on what you say. Not that I don't trust you, but you are one of about 10 different stories that I have been told about O2 sensors.

Does anyone have an electrical schematic that shows the OBD connector pinout to the ECU? I think I might have to use an OBD scanner from the local FLAPS, if the O2 doesn't work. I have a 16 pin OBD connector and my connector wires are:

1. na
2. white/blue stripe
3. na
4. black
5. blue/orange stripe
6. na
7. orange
8. na
9. na
10. black/blue stripe
11. na
12. na
13. orange/green stripe
14. na
15. na
16. green

Mark in Raleigh, NC

incase you missed it, heres a second to what Rara stated.
striker2 said:
the upstream O2 sensor monitors the A/F ratio and the PCM uses that to adjust the fuel trims as necessary. the downstream sensor only monitors cat efficiency and should be turned off in a tune or an MIL eliminator installed.

heres a pic of the OBD2 connector according to the Ford CD for my 97 (should be the same for everything)
DLC.jpg

DLC2.jpg

Thanks Striker2 for the second (guess I missed it) and thank you for the pinout. I get to go install my OBD connector now. Not as easy as it sounds. My buggy doesn't have much extra room for an electrical box so its intalled under the back seat. I've only connected the wires that are needed to the ECU, so I'll remove the large connector and install about 5 new wires for this.

Nothing like building a kit car. Maybe I should have followed the kit directions and installed the 40hp bug air cooled engine, nah!! Even the 40hp engine has enough power to push a 1200 lb car, I can't wait to see how this Zetec does.

Mark in Raleigh, NC

OK Here are some pics....

OK Here are some pics....

You asked so here ya go. These are the first pics of the buggy with all modifications. I haven't even posted this on thesamba.com (vw and buggy site) yet. I still have some things to complete. The exhaust isn't done, it comes to a dead end at the bottom of the engine, kindof loud now. I need an air cleaner, and it still runs alittle rough. I'm wiring in an OBD connector so I can check out the codes. Some pics have the top up and some with the top down. Let me know what you think.

100_0620.jpg

100_0625.jpg

100_0627.jpg

100_0624.jpg

100_0623.jpg

Back