• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust gaskets...

Sprebound

Veteran CEG'er
So I just bought a used bosal catback from a dude on here and I am going to need some new gaskets for it as it did not come with them...they were most likely shot anyways. I have searched all over the internets but all I get are those auto warehouse sites and hits for other vehicles. I am thinking that these things should be a pretty generic size, but I would like some input on the matter. Do you guys think that I would be able to get by if I got some gasket material and cut my own?

I dunno...I don't have the originals. It looks like the typical aluminum-like ones though from the impressions left on the flanges.

Yep, and that was the same problem that I had...site sucked and nothing for the contour. I even tried calling their Ypsilanti location but couldn't get a hold of anyone, and I tried calling three times over the span of two hours.

well then go take care of that crap.

Screw you Jackie Chan Rodriguez... :laugh:

Made the gaskets today, turned out pretty good and didn't take very long at all. I also polished up the piping so everything should be good to go for tomorrow. Hopefully getting the old exhaust off won't be too problematic... Given the condition of the car, I won't be surprised if I am going to need new bolts where the exhaust bolts up to the y-pipe. Knocking on wood with my fingers crossed. I'll make sure and take some pics.

I won't be surprised if I am going to need new bolts where the exhaust bolts up to the y-pipe. Knocking on wood with my fingers crossed.

Do you have a new y pipe or catalytic converter to put on too? Cause if you're just doing the cat-back you won't have to touch the y pipe :)

You'll just break the two bolts connecting the cat to the rest of the system :laugh:

Is your old one a stock SVT exhaust with the aftermarket mufflers?

Do you have a new y pipe or catalytic converter to put on too? Cause if you're just doing the cat-back you won't have to touch the y pipe :)

You'll just break the two bolts connecting the cat to the rest of the system :laugh:

And if it is the stock exhaust with aftermarket mufflers I call dibs on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please

Yessir, stock pipes into some unbranded mufflers with folgers coffee cans welded on the back. It looks kinda dumb...but it actually does sound kinda nice. I recorded this yesterday:

Whatever bolts I am going to have to loosen up...I am sure are gonna be rusted like a mofo. I will also figure out whether I have a two or three bolt y-pipe while I am down there so that I can see if you will be able to optimize one for me.

Ohh...and sorry Elraido, I already got rid of the old exhaust before I even got my new exhaust.

I frickin knew it...the bolts are next to impossible to get off. They are rusted to :censored::censored::censored::censored: and were pretty much rounded off before I even started wrenching...welp, to the parts store I go for some bolt offs, new bolts and pb blaster...son of a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Back