• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Throw Shifter

I have the Steeda and love it! It is a little more work because you need the riser plate and all, but it is amazing. It is a true short throw shifter also!

I have the B&M in my car and i have driven cars with the Steeda one. Both are really good, the B&M is a little harder to shift, the Steeda one is easier than the B&M and it feels closer to the factory, but shorter and tighter.

I have heard and seen on the B&M, one of the welds for the shift cables can break under hard shifting. It has been a long time since i have seen or heard of one going, mine never has.

Like i said, booth are very good and you will be happy with either one.

B&M=Midget shifter that does nothing but shorten the length of the throw shaft.

Steeda=True short throw, dosent require odd hand positions, dosent look like it belongs in a Miata, feels great, VERY short shifts, costs about the same.

ScottD60 can make you a riser plate for 20 bucks.

Steeda=True short throw, dosent require odd hand positions, dosent look like it belongs in a Miata, feels great, VERY short shifts, costs about the same.

what do you mean "odd hand positions"? i have the B&M and i love it! no "odd hand positions" needed

he's basically saying that the b&m is essentially a cut shifter. The Steeda one is a short throw by them moving the pivotal ball higher on the shift shaft... so you get a shorter shifter, but also have increased leverage (longer shaft below the ball). This is also why you'll need a slight spacer, or else the bottom of the shift shaft will hit the floor panel.

he's basically saying that the b&m is essentially a cut shifter. The Steeda one is a short throw by them moving the pivotal ball higher on the shift shaft... so you get a shorter shifter, but also have increased leverage (longer shaft below the ball). This is also why you'll need a slight spacer, or else the bottom of the shift shaft will hit the floor panel.

maybe someone could explain what the difference is... i dont see a difference if the shifter is cut or the ball moved higher. if the throws are shorter, isnt it the same :shrug:

maybe someone could explain what the difference is... i dont see a difference if the shifter is cut or the ball moved higher. if the throws are shorter, isnt it the same :shrug:

with the pivot point moved it doesn't take increased effort to change gears ... if you cut it down you loose leverage ... the steeda makes the shifter longer under the pivot point adding leverage back

with the B&M it only appears the throws are shorter since the shifter is shorter, the steeda is shorter since the shifter is shorter but they also increased its length to off se tthe shorter handle

pictures are worth 1,000 words. This should explain everything:

My Steeda Short Throw. This is what it comes with. Except the plate in the pic is from Scottd. You need this to make it work.
IMG_0508-1.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Sorry the pics are so big.

This is what everyone is referring to. The ball is not moved up. Its the shaft below the ball is longer. This changes the fulcrum point and makes the actual throw shorter. B/C its longer you need said plate so that it does not hit the floor board.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_0523.jpg

This is the overall length between stock and Steeda. You can see the Steeda is shorter.
IMG_0520.jpg

[/FONT]

Both the B&M and Steeda change the fulcrum point and the angle below it. The Steeda just changes the length greater and thus requires a riser plate. However it also has a longer handle negating any comparable advantage in the actual throw of the shifter.

Both are quality units and are a great upgrade over the stock shifter. You can not go wrong getting either unit.

BEWARE knockoff B&M shifters though. They are the ones notorious for breaking at the welds because of inferior materials and workmanship.

Also remember to NOT connect the centering spring when installing your new shifter.

Also remember to NOT connect the centering spring when installing your new shifter.

please explain ... the steeda you need to notch the shifter base to let the centering spring work ... I help someone with a b&m put the centering spring back in and he prefered the feel of the shifter over not having the spring

I have B&M. Originally it's pain at neck to put the centering spring back because I forgot to take a picture before I disassemble everything. But without the centering spring it relies on me to put the lever in gear from 2->3, and from 5->4. It's slower that way. I then managed to put the centering spring back. For some reason, the spring is even tighter than before, IIRC. I just LOVE the automatic centering effect especially when I need/like to shift fast.

So I'd like to know the reason NOT to put the spring back too. Please elaborate/advise.

Thanks

I really didn't notice much of a difference without the spring on the Steeda vs the stock shifter. Basically the shifter centers it self... so you end up fighting against the spring going from 3->2 and 4->5.

I'm not sure about the throw of the b&m... but I think the Steeda was like 1/2 the throw of OEM. I also like the height of the Steeda.... I don't have to lean over to shift.

Basically the shifter centers it self... so you end up fighting against the spring going from 3->2 and 4->5.
Close.

The centering spring really slows down the 1-2 and 3-2 shifts. It pulls (i.e. centers) the shifter into the stops between 2 & 4. In simple words the centering spring sucks for quick, accurate shifting. Without the spring connected you have quick, crisp shifts and nothing to fight against. Well except the POS cable design itself.

Close.

The centering spring really slows down the 1-2 and 3-2 shifts. It pulls (i.e. centers) the shifter into the stops between 2 & 4. In simple words the centering spring sucks for quick, accurate shifting. Without the spring connected you have quick, crisp shifts and nothing to fight against. Well except the POS cable design itself.

not once have i pulled the shifter into the stops... its straight back and very quick. plus it speeds up the 2-3 shift: just push up

Your shifter will still center itself without the spring. 2-3 shift can still just be a "push forward" shift.

Back