• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

just when i thought i had everything fixed...

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
Lately my 2000 CSVT has had stalling problems when I pull up to a stop light or stop sign. Shortly after coming to a stop (car in neutral) I lose all power. Its not a huge issue because it starts right back up again, but it's just annoying. Also, when car is at idle the engine seems louder than usual (almost a rushing air noise).

Some history to help with diagnosis.
-fuel filter replaced 15K miles ago
-fuel pump and IAC replaced 5k miles ago
-problem started immedialtly after having new struts springs strut mounts replaced (although i cant see these being related)
- since problem has started i have seen my mpg suffer ( about 3-5 mpg less)

Vacuum leak maybe?
please help me out CEG

oh, and car has 110xxx on the clock

sure sounds like a vacuum leak. the rushing air noise is a good indication. look through your vacuum bundles by the firewall and both valve cover openings. one's by the firewall and the other's next to the IMRC. i'd start with that.

sure sounds like a vacuum leak. the rushing air noise is a good indication. look through your vacuum bundles by the firewall and both valve cover openings. one's by the firewall and the other's next to the IMRC. i'd start with that.

does anyone have a picture where they can show me where these 2 places are? Sorry but i'm not exactly "mechanically inclined". Also, what does IMRC stands for?

IMRC is intake manifold runner control. the imrc box is the silver box thats right under the front valve cover cover;). its the black plastic plate that has these words written on it, "2.5L DOHC". you'll have to take that off to see it. as for the pix of the vacuum bundle locations, i'll see if i can find one or two.

Last edited:
IMRC is intake manifold runner control. the imrc box is the silver box thats right under the front valve cover cover;). its the black plastic plate that has these words written on it, "special vehicle team 2.5DOHC". you'll have to take that off to see it. as for the pix of the vacuum bundle locations, i'll see if i can find one or two.

thanks for the info. if you have pictures that would be great, if not, no worries I'm sure I can find some.

UPDATE: I opened the hood and can now here a fairly noticeable ticking noise coming from the area of the UIM. The ticking is pretty fast (probably 2 to 3 ticks per second) Please tell me this isnt a "knock".

Check if your spark plugs are all tightened in the heads. You could be leaking past the plugs if they aren't tightened in the heads.

-Adam

update!

I listened near the spark plugs and i dont think that is the problem
Upon further listening, its actually 2 different noises. One fast one (3 to 4 ticks a second) coming from the middle of the UIM, This tick does not increase with throttle. The other noise is deeper and less noticable (its maybe 1 to 2 ticks per second) sounds like its coming from further down in the engine bay and DOES increase with throttle.

Car still stalls every now and then. Somebody please help me. And please tell me neither of these sounds is the engine failing. As much as i would like to have a 3L i absolutly cant afford it and i'll have to sell the car if the engine goes.

get a long screw driver or skinny piece of metal and listen all over the engine. what RPM is your ticking staying at? can you take a video with a sound clip?

update!

I listened near the spark plugs and i dont think that is the problem
Upon further listening, its actually 2 different noises. One fast one (3 to 4 ticks a second) coming from the middle of the UIM, This tick does not increase with throttle. The other noise is deeper and less noticable (its maybe 1 to 2 ticks per second) sounds like its coming from further down in the engine bay and DOES increase with throttle.

Car still stalls every now and then. Somebody please help me. And please tell me neither of these sounds is the engine failing. As much as i would like to have a 3L i absolutly cant afford it and i'll have to sell the car if the engine goes.

the only tick i'd say you should worry about is the one that doesnt increase simultaneously with the rpms. the tick which rises with rpms is probably just the usual old duratec noise. i'd need to hear it first tho to be sure. am not that knowledgeable about going motors.

usually it is the opposite. if a tick stays at a certain RPM it is not usually a major threat to the engine. if the tick rises with RPM then it is a worry for instance a knock. rod knock will get faster and louder with RPM increase while something like an exhaust leak that shows up at a certain rpm is harmless. think of it like rasp in the exhaust. it is consistently at one RPM and is almost always there given a certain set of circumstances while a rod knock gets louder with RPM increase and usually happens throughout the rev range(in its later terminal stages)

each noise has its own outcome until we have more information or a sound clip it cannot be properly diagnosed

usually it is the opposite. if a tick stays at a certain RPM it is not usually a major threat to the engine. if the tick rises with RPM then it is a worry for instance a knock. rod knock will get faster and louder with RPM increase while something like an exhaust leak that shows up at a certain rpm is harmless. think of it like rasp in the exhaust. it is consistently at one RPM and is almost always there given a certain set of circumstances while a rod knock gets louder with RPM increase and usually happens throughout the rev range(in its later terminal stages)

each noise has its own outcome until we have more information or a sound clip it cannot be properly diagnosed

hmmm. really? i always thought the steady ticks were the bad ones. my mistake then. like ks said, post some sound bytes. the pros on here should have answers.

Back