• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Jag X-Type 3.0

If it's the getrag ?321? or whatever is in the S-type, they can be sooped up to handle some decent power by any BMW shop that's worth their salt. IIRC, they have a lot of internals that are common enough in the getrag world to upgrade fairly easily.

It is a getrag... Getrag 221 from what i've seen.

I had read that BMW upgrades were possible but i couldn't find anything concrete.

I can't find much crap about the X-Type at all. No good forums, no good aftermarket. I'd love to get in one but my fear is that it will suck in comparison to the sporty contour feel we all know and love. They seem to be pretty cheap these days, I wonder what it would take to make it more mondeo mk3-esque as far as performance goes.

I owned a 2.5L 5-speed manual X-type Sport and I loved it. If I were looking now I'd only settle for a 3.0L Sport with a manual, which is very rare. I'd definitely choose it over the SVT but SVT's are much cheaper at the moment. There are mods for the car through Arden but since it is a Jag they think you must have money so every thing is expensive. You could easily make your own cold air intake. Exhaust kits are out there for it but again you could have your own made. Borla makes a kit for it and like all the borla kits they are spendy. I wouldn't be surprised if the MSDS headers bolted on. They exhaust manifolds looked identical when I got under the car. Headers would only need slight modifications if anything. As far as tuning as far as I think SCT can tune the X-type. The issues with the Mazda6 was the switch over to the new OBD3 system not the VVT.

It is a getrag... Getrag 221 from what i've seen.

I had read that BMW upgrades were possible but i couldn't find anything concrete.

That sounds about right. That's the trans I really need to start looking into for a RWD Duratec setup, and varify if it truly can be beefed up to handle 400 HP/TQ or so. Time to stop dragging my feet :shrug:

I owned a 2.5L 5-speed manual X-type Sport and I loved it. If I were looking now I'd only settle for a 3.0L Sport with a manual, which is very rare. I'd definitely choose it over the SVT but SVT's are much cheaper at the moment. There are mods for the car through Arden but since it is a Jag they think you must have money so every thing is expensive. You could easily make your own cold air intake. Exhaust kits are out there for it but again you could have your own made. Borla makes a kit for it and like all the borla kits they are spendy. I wouldn't be surprised if the MSDS headers bolted on. They exhaust manifolds looked identical when I got under the car. Headers would only need slight modifications if anything. As far as tuning as far as I think SCT can tune the X-type. The issues with the Mazda6 was the switch over to the new OBD3 system not the VVT.

What are the down falls or weak points with the X-Type? I've been really wanting a 3L/manual sport in Pheonix Red, but I've heard they do have their quirks and it's hit or miss with reliability.

That sounds about right. That's the trans I really need to start looking into for a RWD Duratec setup, and varify if it truly can be beefed up to handle 400 HP/TQ or so. Time to stop dragging my feet :shrug:

Yes you do, that way i can be lazy and just copy what you do instead of figuring it out for myself :D

It does seem to be a bit of an odd-ball tranny so in all reality, you might just be better off fitting up a TKO or something like that.

When Terry Haines declared that he would do an X-Type conversion, I asked him about how the driveline would hold up, since I had learned on line that several owners were having problems with the transfer case. Terry told me that the transfer case was no longer an issue since going through a redesign; although, I haven't found anywhere that states how much power it can handle.

I don't believe tuning will be an obstacle. I read that the SCT XCal can be used with the X-Type ECU, and once Joey is practiced on the Mazda6, Nautilus will be able to apply their expertise to that platform.

What are the down falls or weak points with the X-Type? I've been really wanting a 3L/manual sport in Pheonix Red, but I've heard they do have their quirks and it's hit or miss with reliability.

For the two years I owned it the car was perfect. The clutch is a bit difficult to get used to which is one of the main complaints from owners. It grabs at an odd point but after a few drives it was easy. I had the drive shaft replaced under a recall because it was noisy in the winter. Other than that the car was problem free. Jaguar had previously had a bad reliability rap but Ford fixed most of the issues. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another.

I had a guy local call me with a alot of cash on hand told me he had a 240SX 1995 and wanted to do something different so I told him if he spent $1k on the trans out of a LS and that I would fab up a turbo kit on the car so he can have the only 240SX with a 3.0 duratec Turbo RWD. Now I am really trying to get the SC and the VVT done first and once I get the first projects finished I will buy a used LS V6 and make it my daily driver boosted of course where i can put the power down unlike the FWD we have now. I am sure we will have some rare projects but I look at what I can mass produce for others too. Joey

Joey, I want a mid-engine conversion. Let's make my Cougar into a Noble M12. You up for that? :)

Although, in all seriousness, it would seem that if I was to go that route,I would get better results for less money if I started with a Miata or MR2.

Or even a Fiero. Think Lamborghini replica for < $35K! :drool:

Last edited:
Yes you do, that way i can be lazy and just copy what you do instead of figuring it out for myself :D

It does seem to be a bit of an odd-ball tranny so in all reality, you might just be better off fitting up a TKO or something like that.

Fair enough. Though, that David Godfrey or whatever adapted a T5 with a simple enough adpater plate to a 3L. Never did see if he got it up and running in his XR4Ti, but it did look promising. I emailed him a few times in hopes I could snag the plans or even a copy, but no luck. Getrag, here I come.

Well, Godfrey also made a custom flywheel... not exactly as easy as just making a bellhousing adapter.

However I have to think that there are easier ways than making a custom flywheel.

I did find some more info that the gearset may be the same basic gearset in some common BMW transmissions.

I could not find any BMW transmission with the same gear ratios though. Which isn't all that bad because the gearing in the trans is geared towards a pretty heavy car with a not that powerful V6. So changing out the gearing might be better anyway.

However, a trans located in some 3 series has the exact some Torque rating I "think" 220 ft-lbs. Not exactly much of a surplus over a 3L. However this could indicate a sharing of parts that should give you some slight hope at least.

Back