• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Found some metal fragments in the oil...

seabass_00svt

CEG'er
Changed oil at 3500 miles and found 6 metal fragments smaller than a bb in the bottom of the oil drainpan. Is this bad?

The motor runs great and doesn't consume more than a 1/2 a quart over the 3500 mile interval with Penzoil Platinum Synth.

Car is a 2000 SVT with 201,838 on the body and unknown miles on the motor. Am I looking at replacing the motor in the future?

I could be wrong but metal fragments in your oil is definitely not a good thing. It's time to do a thorough inspection of the motor.

At 200k miles, you have had it good. However, unless the engine sounds "funny", I would not worry about it. You probably have many other things to worry about. :shrug:

Last edited:
start saving your money for a new motor. Metal fragments, aside from normal wear, are not a sign to a healthy motor.

Since you're in michigan, you've got it good when it comes to 3L prices and selection.

And you've got bagged and reebs to help with a swap, if you can convince them to not use a sawzall to get the motor out. On second thought, enlist the aide of one of the other, less destructive motor swap enthusiasts up that way

to not feel like a retard...

I uhh...had lunch while the oil was draining out of the motor and when I was funneling the old oil into the empty containers from the new oil I saw what looked like bb size chunks in the bottom of the oil.

I freaked out and posted without carefully determining what the foreign matter was assuming it was metal. It turns out it was pebbles/stones that melted off the bottom chassis of the car while it sat for 45min and had fallen into the oil drain pan.

Motors great...i don't think it has 200k on it. Doesn't burn oil, revs like a champ

Back