• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kick panel pictures wanted

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
well i suck at searching and im lazy. plus most of it is all on the old forums so thought we could bring stuff over here.

looking for pictures of kick panels. gonna be trying my hand at glassing so i thought id tackle this as one of the projects.

Well, it is a very easy search...but I'm a nice guy and making kick panels so I have the pics saved.

166133_23.jpg

customkickpanels.jpg

Oh, and if you didn't read any of the old forums when discussing fiberglass kicks I think you should to get some good info. Otherwise check other sights, there are good tutorials and such to glassing the kicks if it's your first glassing project.

That's not his glove compartment... or his kicks.

It is a 30 band eq from PPI in the glove box.

Also.. I sent you a PM a while back about your screen name. :)
How do you like the sound of your kicks? I've heard many say to aim them at some part of the opposite window, but yours look like they're aimed at the dome light. Is it just preference? :shrug:

I also see a lot of kicks where the tweeter and woofer and aligned parallel to the floor. I always thought it'd be better to mount the teardrop vertical so the tweeter would be higher up and clear the legs :shrug:

Last edited:
sound q posted about the triangle effect when the tweeter and mid are seperated. it was said that if it was mounted below, the mid the sound would point up IIRC.

but where should they be pointed is a good question

This is quoted from the info that I received from SoundQ so he won't have to say it all again...

"As for the mounting of the tweeter in relation to the mid in the kicks, it may seem weird but you want the tweeter below and slightly outside the center line of the mid."

Hope that helps. There is so much to read on old CEG where SoundQ, HonkeytonkMonkey, and I believe MXracer talk about aiming.

I'll dig it up because I need it anyway for a few weeks from now.

If you read the kick panel thread that is currently going on (or was a week ago) you would find some info on SoundQ's aiming.

"In case you missed it in other threads, my kicks are aimed basically at a point above the front window on the opposite side of the car. Example: the driver's side kick is aimed at the grab handle above the front passenger side window."

"One location to watch out for: under the dash just to the left of the radio location is a smooth curved panel that blends the side of the radio bump to the bottom of the dash (close to the driver's right knee). The reflection from this panel can generate a nicely focused center image even though only the left speaker is playing. This is obviously not a desirable situation and can be minimized/eliminated with proper aiming of the speakers that are selected."

"With regard to the use of tweeters mounted higher up to raise the stage, the best results i have heard about were achieved by installing this second set of tweeters on the a-pillar, at about eye-level, pointed straight across the car if not a couple degrees forward (toward the windshield), crossed over very sharply at about 10kHz and attenuated (muted) just a little bit. Again, these would be strictly an auxiliary set whose sole purpose is to improve the sound stage. These would not be your primary drivers for reproducing sound above 3.0-3.5kHz which would be the responsibility of the main tweeters probably installed in the kick panel near the midrange."

Hey Yamaha...do some searching but that was just a quick search on my part within the new forums...

Last edited:
i was reading your thread about kicks.great info there.

so from my understanding i want to:

Point kicks towards opposite window area.
mount tweeter below and offset of mid.
use crossover to limit
8inch subs in the doors.

im not looking to do competitions with this set up just get stuff sounding great!

if i use all Elemental Design Audio gear they should all work with each other correct?

Last edited:
I plan on doing the exact same setup (just with different gear). I'm actually purchasing my components, aux tweets, and woofers today and then my fiberglass materials as well. I'll be doing all of this work over my spring break from college but I'll be taking pics as I go alone it all.

Have you had much experience w/ glassing?

I plan on doing the exact same setup (just with different gear). I'm actually purchasing my components, aux tweets, and woofers today and then my fiberglass materials as well. I'll be doing all of this work over my spring break from college but I'll be taking pics as I go alone it all.

Have you had much experience w/ glassing?
I'm doing my kicks that same week as well :laugh:

Where you buying your resin, etc from? I was thinking of going to a boating shop but it's usually expensive.

Too bad you're not near MI, you could go do it with me and baggy

i have a bit of glassing backround. think im going to get my supplies from uscomposites.com good stuff there.

i might do mine over break

ConcepTrs913 do you know a kid named Doozer Mroczka

Last edited:
I am going to be purchasing the FB mat online and the resin as well. As far as wrapping it goes I just go to JoAnn fabrics and get the scrap fleece for a few dollars but I might try some felt because it soaks more in.

Either way here's the last FB Project completed... just a quick one

Image0001.jpg

I am going to be purchasing the FB mat online and the resin as well. As far as wrapping it goes I just go to JoAnn fabrics and get the scrap fleece for a few dollars but I might try some felt because it soaks more in.
Why would you wanna use more resin? Use grille cloth.

Back