• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strange noise no startup

Torquemonster

CEG'er
...had this noise for years but it seems like its progressively getting worse. Took it to a couple shops but they couldnt hear what I was talking about.

Also if the car is warm and I start it, it wont make the noise or it will be very slight.

I have a low quality video here and between 2 and 3 seconds right after the car turns over, there is a weird screech noise kind of like bad bearings on something or maybe a belt slip. Not sure. Anyway it doesnt last long.

Sorry for having the hood open. I got lots of echo in the garage off the walls. This was a first start after 2 days of the car off. Also engine might be sounding kinda rough...but it does have lots of mileage on it (about 205,000 miles).

here is the vid if anyone wants to listen and take a guess at what that noise is just after it turns over. Kinda a screeching.

http://powerthings.com/video/strangenoise.mov Made it small for easy download.

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. That is when the things plays. It's all choppy for me. I despise quick time players.

Hmmm... I mean right when it fires up, its this squeal noise that lasts for like 1 second or less. Its slightly more quiet than the rest of teh car noise so it might be masked a bit. Thing is because I can hear it, I guess I know what noise to look for. Sounds just like a slipping belt or something or maybe imagine ball bearings that might grind if they were worn - but only for that moment it makes the noise.

Yes and I've had the same noise for several years, it's especially bad on those cold days... I originally thought it was my starter and that it would go bad eventually but after several years I gave up on that theory and wondered if it was something rusting or a spot weld coming loose on the metal shield over the exhaust up over the headers (exhaust manifolds)? In any case my svt has 135,000 and I got it in July '97. If you ever find the problem let me know but I've been living with it for years now.

Thank god someone hears it :) LOL. Well as long as its not some part ready to fail. I mean its been there for years like you say and come to think of it, i've noticed that its worse in the past few months and of course its winter so its cold. Hmmm. Well I'll keep ya in mind if I figure out what it is.

Yes and I've had the same noise for several years, it's especially bad on those cold days... I originally thought it was my starter and that it would go bad eventually but after several years I gave up on that theory and wondered if it was something rusting or a spot weld coming loose on the metal shield over the exhaust up over the headers (exhaust manifolds)? In any case my svt has 135,000 and I got it in July '97. If you ever find the problem let me know but I've been living with it for years now.

Back