• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car will not turn off?!

D

devanmc

so today i go to turn off my car, and it stays running. Then i get back in and it magically turns off(finally). Then i get back home and i i turn the KEY to off and the car stays running. jiggle it and such and it finally turns off. Try it again and it didnt work this time. I had to disconnect the battery to get the engine to die. when i turn the key to off the lights, tach ect turn off but the engine stays running :crazy: . Once it does turn off, if you turn the key back to on, you must puch it to the start posstion as you would normally. It only effects turning the car off(turningt he key to off, turns off everything but the engine). I just replaced the switch, (that is on the other side of the steering collum(connected by a shaft) that connects to the lock tumbler, with one from a junk yard and the same problem. What could it be???

better not ot disconnect battery when engine rynnig, it is possible to damage alternator!!
if you want to turn the engine off in this way, I think there should be power fuse, probably is better to remove that rather than disconnect the battery.

turning the car to off still cuts the alternator. so the car eventually dies when the battery runs out.

locks and switch seem to be fine(as i swapped both), but thanks tony. Anything is help full at this point.

Last edited:
is there seriously nothing on this problem??? Im confused on this entirely, but i figure there would have to more knowledge(tony's post) then this.

does that control the hvac system(fans) power too? cuz those stayed running to when i got home last night. Other the that the problem disappeared today :blackeye:

And you couldnt think of that last night???

didnt really care last night :shrug: im used to someone saying my car wont start whats wrong? but i mean come on what kind of douche says my car wont turn off:shrug: :laugh:

I had the SAME problem and I ended up finding that two wires going into the fuse box had burned the fuse box and were arching. It kept power to HVAC and stuff. Let me find my thread...

i do everything back words, even with my problems. learn to live with it :laugh:. how do i check a relay now?

yep read threw it all that seems to be my problem. Though it was a ghost today and decided to run away. Ill look at those wires though tomorrow when i have more light. What did you do to fix it in the end?

yep read threw it all that seems to be my problem. Though it was a ghost today and decided to run away. Ill look at those wires though tomorrow when i have more light. What did you do to fix it in the end?

pull the fuse box. Pulled apart EVERY layer (some were melted together) and then just reassembled and it was good. You could just get a new one from a junk yard. They are easy enough to remove and cheap enough to try.

pull the fuse box. Pulled apart EVERY layer (some were melted together) and then just reassembled and it was good. You could just get a new one from a junk yard. They are easy enough to remove and cheap enough to try.

wiring or the fuse box?

I need those pictures from when you had the No turn off issue, asap! My short went a bit farther and blew the 15 amp fuse and the 20amp fuse(top row, middle) this took out a long list of things. Please help me.

I took all the tape off the wiring from the fuse box to the harness "tube" that stretch along the dash board and i found nothing.

those 2 fuses took out:

fuel gauge
turn signals
solenoid to remove car from park
"night lights" for cluster
radio
dome light
side mirror motors
seat belt light

*thats all i know so far

also, think my no off problem is the relay as it has been on and off all week.

Last edited:
as suggested start by checking all the wiring that you can to make sure it isn't shorted out anywhere. Then you could try swapping some relays to see if it makes a difference.

found something atleast.

found something atleast.

on the engine bay harness (not sure about technical name), where it comes threw the fire wall and connects to the the dash harnesses. The upper left grey connector has a blue wire with a black stripe in it. This wire starts to smoke and melt when the key is turned to on and the gear selector is moved out of park and continues to burn after it is placed back into park.

-side note, the passenger side mirror also goes down at will. I have remove the contorller swtich and it still moves down.

i have a 30amp fuse currently in the #23 passenger fuse spot. This spot normally calls for a 15amps fuse. But 30 is all i could find that wouldnt blow while im trouble shooting.

Go over to baggeds & wear some high heels to get a fuse panel! :)

I had this same problem & I had to swap the panel, inside under the dash by the clutch pedal (in theory). If I were you I'd atleast do this before going any further & by the way you need to stop playing around w/ the fuses & such b/c if you damage the harness your in for some hard work.
Ask me how I know. Smoking wires is never a good thing!

Any one got a diagram or the like, that will show me the path of the wires on the connector C931 - N93 Gearshift lever unit And if wire 295-pf34 is supposed to be grounded(bk/bu in harness, changes to og/ye after connector)?

Back