• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3L option? 230hp

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
Announced by Ford for the new Escape/Mariner:
"An optional, 230-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 engine – a 30-hp increase over last year – also is offered. It, too, will offer an estimated 1 mpg fuel economy improvement and better acceleration, thanks to the new 6-speed transmission and engine enhancements, including new pistons, cylinder heads and fuel injection system."
Just found it interesting if this could be an option for 3L swaps, not that I'm planning one :laugh:
-J

that would be an awesome starting point for our 3l swaps. where's the source of the info? i'd like to check it out. i wonder how it would be differentiated from the regular 3.0 v6s :shrug:

Hoping that we get lucky...

TheMustangNews.com said:
The venerable 3.0 liter Duratec DOHC V6 gets a makeover that nets a healthy 30hp increase while also attaining a 1 mpg gain. The improvements include new cylinder heads, intake tract, redesigned pistons and a new fuel injection system.

However, it's being mated to a new 6 speed ATX, so who knows if it'll work with our existing MTX or ATX choices. Maybe it's a CD6E ;)

you know for a fact the 2.5 wont bolt to a 6 speed auto?

from my research i think it will

but i havent tried it

Since I clearly stated I wasn't certain, that should tell you I don't know for a fact! I could easily be confusing them not matching up with the 6 speed not matching up to the Contour? Yeah, maybe that was it! Regardless, it will be quite awhile before you'd be able to get one for a decent price. Then again, just seeing a brand new long block price for a 2007 3L for $5K doesn't sound THAT unreasonable (although a Ford Racing 302 crate can be had for 4K so in that regard, it does sound a bit unreasonable!).

Re-reading a second time I guess the way I stated it it was a bit ambiguous.

Last edited:
And maybe you aren't going to find one at a reasonable cost for at least 4 or 5 years. Not certain, but I believe this 3L will not mate up to our MTX just as our 2.5L won't mate with the 6 sp auto

appologize i thought you meant you were uncertain about that 3l not bolting to the contour mtx

The block hasn't changed on the updated 3L for next year, its the cylinder heads and intake manifold stuff as was mentioned before. This means that swapping around transmissions of different types shouldn't be limited by the trans to block interface.

Rara,

Are you at liberty to say what the cylinder head and intake manifold changes are? Are they moving to the direct action cams like the Jaguar design?

Can't give any details until they are shown publicly. But, it would be a rather expensive proposition to consider switching over to the new stuff until they have been out for awhile, so most of us have plenty of time to get all the details before it would be reasonable to consider using these bits.

why hasnt anyone done a jag 3.0 swap? is there some sort of restriction other than price?

I know its not a Jag 3.0L, but M!key sent his old pre 98 tour to Terry Haines back in 2003 to get a full LS 3.0L. I can't remember the details as to why it didn't happen, but I think I think it had something to do with the heads/valvetrain.

The block hasn't changed on the updated 3L for next year, its the cylinder heads and intake manifold stuff as was mentioned before. This means that swapping around transmissions of different types shouldn't be limited by the trans to block interface.
Rara, there are two key changes on the block to match with the new cylinder heads.

Back