• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sold the Montero, got an....

Acura 3.2TL, pretty much loaded. 2003 certified with about 58,000 miles on her. Recently we did a bit of clearing out of cars, sold the 98 contour with 64,000mi for 1600 dollars last week, sold the montero today, and sold the bronco. This is the most recent addition.

out1.jpg

out3.jpg

out4.jpg

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! The TLs are great cars. A friend of mine had a '96 with 150K miles, and the only issue was a draining battery caused by the trunk light stuck on. (took them months to figure it out!)

Obviously you like them since you now have two!

IIRC '02 is known for the tranny issue, '03 is a bit better, but still issues.

Contemplated this car instead of the Jag for my mom. I prefer this thing, but she didn't like the looks of it,

IIRC '02 is known for the tranny issue, '03 is a bit better, but still issues.

Contemplated this car instead of the Jag for my mom. I prefer this thing, but she didn't like the looks of it,

I've heard different. IE they ALL have issues. My uncle has an 02 or 01 CL and his grenaded. My friend has a 99 TL and it also took a monumental dump. :rolleyes:

I've heard different. IE they ALL have issues. My uncle has an 02 or 01 CL and his grenaded. My friend has a 99 TL and it also took a monumental dump. :rolleyes:

i was fully aware of the issues with the transmission before i bought it. the second i get a weird shift or hesitation im taking it to the dealer and getting a new one. I spoke to the service manager about it and he told me for things to watch for and assured me i would be taken care of in the event of any of those symptoms.

and yes, i would love to make it look like that.

I have a 2002 TL-S...transmission was replaced at around 35k miles...been fine ever since, plus your warranty is probably good to around 107k miles, anyways. Check out Acurazine for good ideas on mods and common fixes. :)

IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited:
Post pics when the transmission grenades! :rolleyes:

Brother drives an '02 TL-S. His tranny has been replaced under warranty.

Overall a good car. The interior is a bit dated compared to the newer crop of luxury cars and its rather a bland/boring drive. Car has little personality.

i worked at Prime acura for the past 6 months and have driven dozens of TL's with :censored::censored::censored::censored: trannys, mostly reverse goes, especially on the mdxs as well.

ive found that 99-03 were the bad tranny years, with more cases happening in the earlier years, very few 03's came in but there were some. the have a torque converter upgrade, and the tranny is warrantied till 105k or 110k something like that.

so people gripe about it all the time but honestly, plenty of people especially technicians call the acura trannys pieces of :censored::censored::censored::censored: but, the dealership has a huge waranty on them, so they will replace them for free and give you a free rental car (usually a brand new acura) and you dont have to do a damn thing. so it works out.

but if you intended to mod that TL, please first change the exhaust!!! acura exhausts are horrible because of the ULEV (ultra low emission vehicle) standards that the want to adhere to. so the usually have like 3 mufflers a resonator and a few cats. its ugly, although all acura's sound good from the factory.

anyways thats my 2 cents nice new car, ill hopefully get a 04-05 Aspec in a few years.

Back