• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Unknown Beeping?!

arin

CEG'er
I just went to start up my '96 and it's not doing anything and there's a weird beeping coming from the glovebox area. I've never heard it before in my life... I need some help ASAP. I didnt leave any lights on, so the batt's not dead, i think. Could it have to do with the extreme cold?

air bag sensor possibly. has your light ever lit up?

yeah, it has a few times randomly, but it never stayed on consistently. I drove @ 11;30 last night and it was fine. When I just put the key on accessories I can hear a kind of whirring from glovebox, like from PCM? Never noticed it before.

Airbag sensor problem would stop me from starting the car?

the noise is possibly that then. air bag sensor is by the shifter. it just sounds like its coming from the glove box.
has your steering wheel ever been off, if so you probably have an issue with the clockspring. but that shouldnt stop the car from starting i wouldnt think.

Last edited:
Is there anything I can do to fix it right now? I think I'll be fine without my airbag for a 5 minute drive tonight. Steering wheel hasnt been off for atleast a year since I bought it.

How can I tell without starting it? Last time I used it it was fine, but I never remember a light or anything that came on that said it was on. I don't see anything happening when I turn it on/off now, though.

id have to see it but the horn making the speedo go up sounds like a wiring issue . and or clockspring issue causing the airbag problems hopefully brapple will chime in soon he knows a lot about this if i recall. but the car not starting could be a few things

Last edited:
Ok, update. My horn is working now... Everything else seems the same, though. When I turn everything off the speedometer jumps, too./

Ok, horn's not working anymore. Interior lights are working. No windows, locks, or exterior lights are working.

I just remembered the other day I noticed a wire connection hanging down right below the bumper area. It's two blue connectors attached, but I just looked at it and it doesnt seem to be damaged. Could this be the airbag sensor?

at the front bumper? like a network cable? light blue?

that is the front O2 sensor cable (leads to the O2 sensor)

try the one way diode in the engine compartment. its the only black fuse looking object in there. heres some pictures. shavedsvt had the same problem and it was this.

Picture019.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Last edited:
key fob locks the doors but doesnt make it honk, if that means anything.

I'm guessing that hanging wire was ntohing, just threw it out there.

key fob locks the doors but doesnt make it honk, if that means anything.

I'm guessing that hanging wire was ntohing, just threw it out there.

yeah thats the not the problem

Last edited:
Is the diode in the power distrib box? I'm not seeing something like that but ill go check again

yes its in the distro. block in the engine compartment.

Back