• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

clutch questions

jolly8286

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok so me and my brother finally got around to replacing the clutch. we were getting ready to put the motor back and we realized the pressure plate was wrong that came with the clutch kit. but my real question is, what causes a clutch to get glazed over. we had plenty of clutch plate left but it was glazed pretty bad. any help? and btw one of the springs came lose in the clutch plate and ate up the pressure plate backing too. and the tranny a little.

Ah..My buddys got a LUK..He beats the living crap out of still holding up to this day..Some clutches man are a hit and miss for example like Spec..Some have lasted and performed great others failed within 15miles..My guess would be you slipped the clutch 1 to many times.

yeah i might have. i'm not gonna lie and say i didn't take the best care of the car when i first got it. but ever since, i've always kept track. I feel like i'm in it with the car for the long run. But any special thing i need to have done before we get finished with the clutch and will MERCON V work in this tranny?

yeah i might have. i'm not gonna lie and say i didn't take the best care of the car when i first got it. but ever since, i've always kept track. I feel like i'm in it with the car for the long run. But any special thing i need to have done before we get finished with the clutch and will MERCON V work in this tranny?

NO Call ford and get there Ford Synthetic Honey runs about 16-17 a QT

alright thanks. glad we didn't get done then.

Yeah theres a few thread/stickys on here and on the main page IIRC for Trans fluid change and covers a few different trans fluids some like and some dont..But i had the wrong trans fluid in my trans when i got the car and changed to the ford honey and Presto chango like a new trans once again..You will be amazed with how well your trans will feel..Glad i could be of some help

Ah..My buddys got a LUK..He beats the living crap out of still holding up to this day..Some clutches man are a hit and miss for example like Spec..Some have lasted and performed great others failed within 15miles..My guess would be you slipped the clutch 1 to many times.

first chances are the spec failures in 15 minutes or less where from impropper install, yes at least one that I know of was a failed clutch .... but you are right some can be hit or miss

i do believe a glazed clutch comes from excessive heat

Back