• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can someone please look at these pics

LoneGunman

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I posted yesterday about a '98 Contour, 4cyl, will hardly idle, very little power. Throwing a P1383 code. I researched the code. I pulled the valve cover, is the VCT solenoid the sensor on the left (right sode of the vehicle) in the pic?

The timing belt looks good, I did the belt and pulleys around a year and a half ago.

When I did the initial timing I used a flat bar to hold the cams, if you look in the pics I have posted the slots on the cams no longer line up, now I know they are not going to be both horizontal like when I set the timing but shouldnt they both be at the same angle UNLESS I jumped timing?

How do I tell if the timing is off?

P1010158.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010159.jpg

P1010160.jpg

Your timing is off. Make sure you get number 1 to TDC and the cams should line up if it is in time. Did you replace your tensioner to. That is the VCT that is in between the cams in the front. As I have said many times before, it is very important to spend the $25 for the crank pin and cam tool to make sure the timing is perfect. If it is not you will get that code.

I suspect that the timing being off is from the stuck solenoid. The solenoid is on the end of the cam. It is the extension of the cam that protrudes into the round bulge in the timing cover.

Did it happen suddenly?

Did it happen suddenly?

Did the poor idle and no power happen suddenly? If so you can likely suspect jumped cam timing. If not you might want to look elsewhere.

The sole cause of jumped timing is that the tension in the belt is inadequate. But usually you need to have a flopping loose belt to jump timing.

I agree the the tool kit with the bar and pin are critical for proper timing. But don't make the mistake of setting the cam belt too tight as it will walk off the front of the cam pulleys and shred itself on the front timing cover. Not a pretty sight a hundred miles from no where, Guess how I know.

Last edited:
Dec, the tensioner was also replaced when I did the belt. This all happened last Sunday, I did the belt over a year and a half ago. Up until last Sunday I had no CEL and it idled and ran fine so I don't think having the crank pin and cam tool is an issue.

Big Jim, any idea how to tell if it is stuck? I read that if the sensor just goes bad it will not affect the idle like mine is doing (itll default to standard timing or something) I also read that if the solenoid is stuck it will act like mine. I'm wondering if I can unstick it and leave it disconnected, I don't care about the CEL, the car is going to be replaced within the next six months anyway but I need it until it's replaced.

Andre, poor idle, no power and CEL all just happened. The belt is not loose, not missing any teeth and has a little wear, It doesnt seem like it's possible for it to jump timing.

Do the cams always rotate the same speed as each other? I don't see anyway for them to rotate differently, the slots in the cam should be at the same angle if I'm correct. As I said, even if they are not horizontal like when I originally set the timing, I'd think the angle would be the same. If the timing was correct I would think the slots would look like the following, --, // , ll, mine look something like this, / l

I'm not a Zetec expert, but a stuck solenoid could explain your problems and you have a code for that. I would suggest that you get some additional advice (as you are seeking) or that you get a manual that tells you how to trouble shoot the solenoid. Don't attempt to reset the timing until you get the solenoid possibility resolved.

The cam gear is spring-loaded in the fully advanced position, so if the VCT solenoid becomes damaged or malfunctions, the car will still maintain normal operation and performance. However, if the cam gear mechanism malfunctions, or if the timing belt is installed incorrectly, the exhaust cam can end up in the fully retarded position, giving you the same effect as having an EGR valve stuck wide open ... rough idle, stalling, hesitation on tip in, etc.

Back