• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY poly fill roll restrictor

I will be installing the mount when my wife gets out of the hospitol and will post my impressions on the fill.

I used this method when I first did my 3L back in 2005. The NHV was at a minimum. It seemed like it was too soft to actually help with the wheel hop situation. They didn't last very long, the window weld didn't bond to the existing rubber in the mount very well and tore away pretty quickly. It's impossible to pack the mount with your fingers without still having a significant amount of air pockets in the voids of the mount. For $20 it does something but nothing I would expect to last very long. I'd say it's a good way to repair busted mounts to perform a little better than a new stock mount would and if your drive regularly they should last a while.

Just curious, what do wheels have to do with NVH associated with motor mounts?

This is why i've done a few sets in 80A, Little softer, but still effective.

Glad you're happy with the performance of the 94A's though. :)

the 19" tires are way stiffer than the 16s. they increase the harshness of the ride. the 16s are nice and chushy. :cool:

any chance on trading in my roll resistors for a set of the softies?

Gotcha, i thought you were making a correlation between the mount NVH being effected by the wheels. :laugh:

lets take this to PMs steve.

the 19" tires are way stiffer than the 16s. they increase the harshness of the ride. the 16s are nice and chushy. :cool:

any chance on trading in my roll resistors for a set of the softies?

If mine were out of my car I would trade you as I want a set of Pole Mounts.

Aaron

FREAKING HORRIBLE....

You want a DIY poly fill?

THis is what you need. Duct tape, Poly from McMaster carr

Leave everything in the mount. Mix Poly, Duct tape everything on one side of the mount soo nothing can leak out. Pour poly in.

Way better than that window BS!!!!

Leave everything in the mount. Mix Poly, Duct tape everything on one side of the mount soo nothing can leak out. Pour poly in.

If your'e going to do it yourself, this is the way i endorse. More expensive, but worth every penny.

~Josh

+another with steeda, thats ugly and ineffective and ghetto, if you are going to make your own mod, at least do it right.

meh... it doesnt look half bad, for people that like when their dash doesn't rattle. personally i would just get a pole mount so i wouldn't have to worry about it falling apart so fast.

FREAKING HORRIBLE....

You want a DIY poly fill?

Way better than that window BS!!!!

Yet again you have to come here and bag on a thread trying to help fellow cegers:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No it hasnt been installed yet, my wife is having surgery today and has been in the hospitol for days so I have had the time. I will install it asap.

i did something similar but to a honda motor mount, except i burned out the old rubber but throwing it in a fire, and the next morning fishing out the two parts. (center bushing and outer shell). centered the bushing and then duct taped one side. filled it up with no air bubbles and duct taped the top once it was near the top. let it sit a few days and took the tape off. it worked great and my way might stop the seperation process from happening.

well i figured if the polyurethane is harder than the rubber the rubber would be the softer more weak point so why not just make the whole thing polyurethane. looks clean and is a little more stronger than mixing the two.

I'm guessing part of the reason some of these aren't holding up is due to lack of prep work to the motor mount.

The OP has a good point on washing it and then drying it well. That should help it stick better.

this is EXTREMELY common over on the probe/mx6 boards,common practice for almost ten years. if done right its a cheap alternative to inserts. i've seen/used/noticed the difference these made on a 350whp 395wtq turbo'd pgt.

Would this work to fix my failing rear roll restrictor? I have a 95 GL Zetec MTX... I thought that when I looked at mine though it was not like the one pictured, it is like this one (not that bad yet), which is apparently 95's only...

Dsc01762.jpg

Last edited:
Back