• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

99svt no gears

STLSVT98

CEG'er
My friend's 99svt won't go into gear and is just stuck in neutral. When ya move the shifter around it moves one lever on the back of the tranny but nothing seems to happen. He just bought the car about a month ago so history of fluid is uncertain. It is a 3l swap car with a supposed 10k since the swap. At the time of the swap the clutch was supposed to have been replaced:shrug: .
Any ideas?

ok, first step is to confirm that the cable are still attached at either end, the shifter and the trans.

if cables are intact I would then pull the shift tower to determine if the bolt in the tower broke.

also is there any difference with the car running or off when you try to shift gears?

ok, first step is to confirm that the cable are still attached at either end, the shifter and the trans.

if cables are intact I would then pull the shift tower to determine if the bolt in the tower broke.

also is there any difference with the car running or off when you try to shift gears?
thanks for the response, sheared the tower bolt off, is floating around in the trans somewhere , couldn't get it with a magnet,looks like the trans is coming out:eek:

try one of the retractable claw tools first before pulling the trans out. It's less than $10 at most parts stores and in the tool section.

thanks for the tip, we'll try that first. Felt around with our hands in there along with some pretty high power magnets and came up with nothing but maybe one of those claws would have a bit more range because they are so flexible.

We dug around with a magnet and a claw tool for several hours, no luck. Any ideas of any other tricks before pulling the tranny outta the car?

Did you look at the tower and is the tower bolt missing? I'm assuming you pulled the tower off. How do the gears look? Does it look like a bolt was tossed through?

I'd attach a magnet to one of those bendable retractable devices to see if you can fish it out from the bottom somewhere.

Yes we verified the tower bolt head was sheared off. :shrug:
We have been diggining around with a magnet and no luck finding it. So now at this point we are going to removed the tranny.

hey sweet thats what i get to do as of yesterday. tower bolt is toast. brand new cables probably did it in. it thankfully happened while it was not moving. it was cold out trying to shift into first and crack it just flops around now and the cables are still attached the counterweight just flops around. oh well tranny needs a diff anyway.

Back