• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

moving to utah

DopePope

Veteran CEG'er
Hey guys, I'm moving to utah for school and I've never really been in an environment where there is lots of snow, so just wondering if you guys have any advice or suggestions. (I'll be living in bountiful)
I have a 2001 audi s4 now, but it doesnt have snow tires... will it be ok? I dont have a ton of spare cash at the moment so getting new tires is a little outta the question at the moment.

Hey guys, I'm moving to utah for school and I've never really been in an environment where there is lots of snow, so just wondering if you guys have any advice or suggestions. (I'll be living in bountiful)
I have a 2001 audi s4 now, but it doesnt have snow tires... will it be ok? I dont have a ton of spare cash at the moment so getting new tires is a little outta the question at the moment.

With awd you should be fine, but expect to have an accident if you don't slow down.

All the roads get plowed and use either sand or salt to keep the ice down. I-15 gets plowed as well, but if you are running a performance tire, you will have to change your driving style. You might be a good driver, but other people are not. Going too fast means you can't get out of their way. Lot's of people come up for the ski season and never learn to drive in the snow. These are dangerous folk.

I got snow tires, a Torsen, and fwd and I'm a driving machine during a snow storm.:cool: I can still make the tires spin, but I have to try.

Where are you going to school? Don't remember Bountiful having lots of cosmetology schools.:shrug:

btw, I got into a set of Hankook snow tires for $283 installed with warranty and crap. Ask yourself how much your deductible is when you get in an accident that could have been avoided with snow tires?:cry:

After your first fresh snowfall, find an empty parking lot and play with the car, learning how it behaves. See how it slips and slides, how the all wheel drive responds, how the ABS responds, how the traction control responds.

Even armed with this experience, there is a lot more to know about driving in ice and snow. The very first thing to know is that it can be very unpredictable.

You need to learn how to respond instantly, but gently, in small increments.

The fortunate thing is that the roads are cleared very quickly after a storm and for the most part when they are clear you can drive pretty normally.

Overall awareness is critical. An unrecognized patch of black ice can be exciting.

After the fresh snow, we go to any LDS church parking lot(there all over the place) before they're all plowed and we practice "Tokyo Drift.":laugh:

Kidding aside, it helps to learn the where your car breaks free and to hone those responses Big Jim mentionned.

Thanks for the tips guys... i need to find a job around here so maybe after the first paycheck or 2 i can get some all season type tires (need to find work soon, funds running low!).
I'm going to LDSBC at the moment, I'm living in bountiful because I found an apartment with all utilities paid for a great price (waiting for internet to be installed... using schools comps atm).
I guess we're supposed to get some snow this weekend so I'll see if i can find myself an empty parking lot.

o yeah, if you guys know anyone in the IT field willing to hire a student part time, let me know ;)

IIRC, isn't the business college on South Temple...... right by the ole Cathedral of the Madelin? If so, the Avenues area has an ass load of ultra cheap apartments with the utilities paid for. From 295-400 is pretty common. A parking garage would be a must, or your car would get broken into while parked on the street and you might find someone sleeping in it. LOL, but it's cheap....

Thanks for the tips on finding a place to live lol! However I already found a place and a roomate, 325 bucks on my part utilities paid, cable, internet etc. LDSBC is right next to... KSL I think...they share that underground parking garage it looks like.

Back