• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL mayhem

kscontourkid

Veteran CEG'er
im getting a whole bunch of codes consistently and am slowly cleaning and checking things but nothing seems to work. had a 3L with a tune in my 99SE MTX for a month now and keep getting 7 codes one of which is irrelevant to an issue.

P0401
P0402
P0430
P0172
P0175
P1000 (irrelevant)
P1519

I have looked and searched to see what these things might be but have not found anyone with all the codes wondering if i have separate problems here?
Gutted all 3 cats, free flowing exhaust 1 3/4" (no mufflers) stock SE intake (just ordered a new one), cleaned MAF, new Technicolor vacuum lines, need to clean IAC getting a surging idle but other than that the car runs fine

please help im stumped and have a small budget.

i found that my problem is fixing what the codes mean. ive got rich on both banks, ive got EGR flow inefficient and excessive, ive got catalyst deficiency bank 2 which i cant figure why since ive got a tune and all my cats are gone then ive got intake manifold runner control stuck open??? my IMRC is giving me trouble opening let alone staying open???

nautilus perf. i trust the tune. i talked to joey and the same tune, modified for my car, put down 207WHP with no problems so im a little confused. i think i have a very small exhaust leak but that shouldnt cause 7 codes to throw maybe one but i dk. just trying to get some opinions before i start tearing stuff apart further

I would remove the EGR and check the condition of the passages in the intake and in the valve. Make sure the EGR valve is working by applying vacuum to it and watching the valve open. If it dosen't open try a new EGR valve.

If a piece of carbon has become lodged in the valve opening it will cause the valve to remain open a little which would give you P0402 excessive EGR flow at idle. If the diaphram in the EGR valve is bad and the valve is not opening when requested, which would be at higher RPM, you would get the P0401 insufficient EGR flow.

When you have multiple codes you start by fixing the first code. Because your first 2 codes are related to the EGR valve start there.

ok i have an update!

i turned off and blocked the egr.
now im getting 3 codes still

P1000 expected
P0402
P0430 i have a small exhaust leak somewhere so this one doesnt concern me much right now but the P0402 which is "EGR flow excessive at idle" has me totally confused! how do i have egr flow when it is blocked??? only thing i can think of is the egr IS stuck open (i know that) and maybe i have a bad sensor???

:help: please!!!

Back