• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Seems Slow... new to this!

How is that even possible? Were you using a FPR? Even Warmongers website puts 24 lb injectors at 67% duty cycle at 210 whp. :shrug:

I pulled this from the archives.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...Old=allposts&Main=18124&Search=true#Post18330

We're talking wheel hp numbers here and not flywheel correct?

Those are wheel hp numbers and no FPR. I ran the 19's in my supercharger build and didn't notice fuel issues starting on my wideband until about 5.5k+ rpms or ~ 7-8psi. After checking the dyno I had after I replaced my injectors with 42's it should have been making close to 300whp at that point. The fuel pump was the bottle neck slightly over 300whp and that was also replaced before the dyno. Maybe my 19's were "special".

Last edited:
Well a little update for everyone!

We got the stock injectors and MAF last week and I finally got around to installing them today. Pulled the chip out and fired her up. Chip turned out to be a Super Chips chip... more on that in a min.

Anyways, car started right up and drives fine. Seems a bit quicker but not as much as I was hoping for. It's definitly running leaner than it was before, I'm going to try to get it on the dyno.

Anyways, the secondaries now open when they should, and you can feel them open now. They were definitly opening sooner before, and not just at one set rpm before. I read on here that the stock settings for the secondaries is to open at 3750 under all conditions and also to open at 3400 under WOT. I'm assumiing the chip tune must have set the "always" open to 3000 and the "WOT" setting to around 2000, and not at WOT but at like 40% TPS.

So, also the car is still idling at a indicated 400rpm and it hits the limiter at an indicated 6400rpm, so I'm pretty confident that the tach is about 300rpm off somehow. Any thoughts about this?

All in all it's getting better... car through codes p0141, 155 and 156 too just now so I will look into that tomorrow... they're all O2 codes, and I remember seeing like a blue colored wire in the O2 sensor when I was under there, so I'm thinking it might have weird sensors or something.

Thanks again for the help and I'll update it when I know more.

Thanks
Adam

well,you have headers on a obdII and no mil eliminaors and now no chip. iirc those code's come w/that setup

I didnt not see what year the car was...
If its a 2000, tuning it is going to be much harder as alot of the PCM's have the port shut off from the factory.

The Secondaries are Driven Strickly by the computer and RPM's. Throttle position doest matter, as you can be WOT @ 1200 RPM's and the Secondary's are not opening.

As said before 3750 is where the secondaries open. You should check and see if you even have the Lower Intake with the secondaries. If not, when you get a tune, you can have it tuned out, so you dont even NEED the IMRC.

Do you have any Check engine lights? Any Codes?

not entirely true.
Throttle position does matter a lot.
at full throttle the secondaries will open up at ~3700-3800 depending upon the year, little lower for SE engines because their intakes are not quite the same and the cams are a bit different
The secondaries will stay closed at part throttle above 3800rpm depending on throttle position. When you hit 4500rpm then they will open No matter what throttle position you have.

A chip can definitely use throttle position to change what rpm AND what throttle position to open them up.

Sounds like his chip is opening them too early, his velocity is dropping and he loses torque till it hits the natural rpm that the full open manifold breathes at.

How is that even possible? Were you using a FPR? Even Warmongers website puts 24 lb injectors at 67% duty cycle at 210 whp. :shrug:

I pulled this from the archives.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...Old=allposts&Main=18124&Search=true#Post18330

We're talking wheel hp numbers here and not flywheel correct?

it's possible because of the fuel pressure regulator getting boost on it.

at 7psi boost the regulator will raise fuel pressure a corresponding amount.
This means that a 19# injector flowed at about 39-40psi but operating on 62-63psi will flow significantly more.
This makes them run like a 24#/hr injector allowing about 300wHP but at probably max duty cycles too.

So, also the car is still idling at a indicated 400rpm and it hits the limiter at an indicated 6400rpm, so I'm pretty confident that the tach is about 300rpm off somehow. Any thoughts about this?

I don't know that it's 300 rpm off. My stock 2.5 idles at 500-700. As stated previously, 6750 was the stock redline, but fuel cut off (at least in the 2000) isn't until 7000, and mine hits the limiter HARD like slamming on the brakes, not just running out of juice, unlike my Jetta which just quits going anywhere at about 7400 (redline is 6500. I don't pay attention well).

i know kirk doucette way back from when i had a taurus, i bought a few parts from him and saw him and breakfast/f1 meet. hes got some sweet cars!!! hes got a Gen 4 taurus (think its a 2000) with the v8 SHO motor in it, and its so loud!

i know kirk doucette way back from when i had a taurus, i bought a few parts from him and saw him and breakfast/f1 meet. hes got some sweet cars!!! hes got a Gen 4 taurus (think its a 2000) with the v8 SHO motor in it, and its so loud!
i dont know what kirk has to do w/this thread:shrug: but i know him aswell,bought a wrecked svt from him.

Back