• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spoiler

the confusion is my fault. the picture i showed i thought was a lot larger than it was. and gave more of an idea of the difference between the lights.

I swapped trunk lids 3 years ago but just finally changed out the struts last week. I used to have to use a screwdriver to hold the trunk open. Just FYI, getting the old struts out is very difficult. Best advice I can give is to clear the trunk of stuff, and climb in there. Be sure to support the lid with a screwdriver before disconnecting the struts.

yeah there are actually 3 different ones.

ones for trunks with no spoiler

ones for pre98s with the lip spoiler

and ones for post 98s with spoilers.

CSVT1214 looked into this alot and posted about it. also ask anyone (mattr or hotdimmes) that swapped trunk lids for one with a spoiler, the stock struts will not hold the trunk lid open.

If i hold my trunk up for a couple seconds, my stock non spoiler trunk struts hold my trunk up jsut fine, and thats with alot heavierr spoiler then the stock one!

If i hold my trunk up for a couple seconds, my stock non spoiler trunk struts hold my trunk up jsut fine, and thats with alot heavierr spoiler then the stock one!

sure, my stock ones on my car do that at the moment also, but I'm putting a new set on since its annoying to have to push the trunk lid all the way open and then have to hold it so it stays ...

hmm this is all new to me about the trunk lid struts being weak, my lid with oem spoiler has never giving me a problem, although I don't use the trunk much maybe thats it :shrug: .

to the op you should learn to search if you don't want your tail wacked alot but it's an easy concept to follow..95-97 lid with spolier get the 95-97 tail lights and strut set up, 98-2000 lid with spolier get the 98-2000 tail lights and strut set up, easy enough.

hmm this is all new to me about the trunk lid struts being weak, my lid with oem spoiler has never giving me a problem, although I don't use the trunk much maybe thats it :shrug: .

you wouldn't noce anything unless you added that spoiler after you purchased the car. if it came with the spoiler it would have the correct strut for the trunk lid.

:troutslap: I'll slap myself thanks. should have figured that out, now who is the confused one :laugh: .

Spoiler vs. no spoiler struts

Spoiler vs. no spoiler struts

I was wondering has anyone put on struts for a trunk w/ spoiler onto a non-spoiler trunk?

Would you think it might have enough lift to bring the trunk up out of the latch and lift it fully open without touching it?

Do you think if I added the trunk pop spring ontop of the struts for a spoiler trunk that it would be able to lift it fully open?

One last question, I looked on teamfordparts for the trunk struts, would you want to order them for the "sport edition"? (wo/ sport edition = no spoiler, w/ sport edition = spoiler?)

yes csvt1214 put the struts meant for trunk with spoilers on his trunk without a spoiler since they where cheaper. you are correct you do want the ones for a se sport.

will it open the trunk with the assist spring, I don't believe so as the struts are not meant to do that. how ever it will take some extra force to close the trunk

It will not open on it's own with the pop spring and spoiler type struts. I thought it would but found out otherwise.

It opens a crack and with a tiny bit of assist, it will open full. I hated having to force the trunk up all the way by hand to get it to open wide. It does it without any effort now.

It will not open on it's own with the pop spring and spoiler type struts. I thought it would but found out otherwise.

It opens a crack and with a tiny bit of assist, it will open full. I hated having to force the trunk up all the way by hand to get it to open wide. It does it without any effort now.

Because of this thread, i was inspired to replace mine, as i was tired of having trunk latch dents in my back :mad: All I can say is damn, I should have done this sooner.

$55 a pair, out the door for life-time warranty Monroe's at CSK!

Back