• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre98 console swap

98TredSVT

Veteran CEG'er
What's involved with this? Is it just a straightforward swap? Do you need any parts besides the pre98 console? Will the ones from an automatic worth with my svt or do I need one from a manual transmission car? Do you need to extend any wires for the radio or anything like that?

i don't have much insight, other than to say that auto and manuals have the same consoles (my damn manual has no tach), but why would you want a pre-98 console?

Brian, you should know by now, that's too much time for people to search.

true .... but then again I knew I had posted the required parts in this forum and on the old one ...

I got an IM from someone last night asking me a similar question, was it the original poster?

oh and pre98 > post 98, hated all that open space, like the enclosed feeling.

and before anyone says anything about the cup holds what in the hell are you doing with a drink in your car :crazy:

There is very few days I don't drive with some kind of drink in my car. I would die without a cupholder installed.

Updated Pre-98 cupholder FTW.

Inm currently working on my pre-98 console swap. and its turening out quite well. pics will be posted when done. Im taking my sweet old time on this. Its the only way to do it right.

yeah post up some pics, how long does the swap usually take? Does it involve custom work like fiberglass/bondo? Or just painting the interior pieces? Does everything bolt up? It seems like a short throw makes everything look MUCH better with the pre 98 consoles.

after radio relocation, before gauge bezel
Picture253.jpg

after gauge bezel (the volt gauge is just a filler as i already have one)
Picture001-1.jpg

at night. i was running out of battery power so i couldnt play with the camera to get the best shots and i didnt have my keys on me to turn everything on.
Picture003-2.jpg

i was standing outside the car for that ^ pic

Picture004-3.jpg

Last edited:
rice...
what do all of those dark shots have to do with the console? :shrug:

Let me show how it's done sunshine....

Oh and just because you did it....

Last edited:
Happy Beaner?
Picture013.jpg

as for position of the radio it is definitely easier to use the radio with it down low with my short shifter. before i had nothing to stabilize my hand on, now i can rest it on the shifter.

Last edited:
Back