• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

95 mystique almost dead

Sinmastah

CEG'er
Well my Engine has been giving me some troubles recently, and I really don't want to put a lot of more money into my car. Is there anything I can do to scrap the car but still make enough money to pay for part of an SVT, thanks.

The rest of my car is excellent. I can get pics up soon. I have stock Mercury rims, but in the LS trim. The interior is excellent, just a little dirty. The suspension is brand new, maybe 10k on it, still the ford stock suspension. Many engine parts are new, timing belt and chain was replaced only 500 miles ago! The body is in mint shape, absolutly no dents, onle 4 scratches wear some one side swiped my car, right infront of me but i didn't get his plates and he drove off. They are barely noticable now, but still annoying. Stock spoiler. I really want to keep this car, but if its going to make a bigger dent in my wallet I wanna get rid of it. All this crap happening at only 70k miles... its 13 years old with 70k lol.

i know the feeling im about to pull a 30k motor:blackeye:

part yours out

I was thinking about parting it out, but how exactly does that work. Do you just garage it and take off everything that people want, and then have some one tow it or what.

Too new to scrap!

Too new to scrap!

What problems are you having now that make you want to move on? 70kmiles isn't even "used". (Is it a Duratec 6cyl or Zetec 4cyl. The 4 cyl has a timing belt, 6 cyl has chains.) Sell it whole, low miles will sell.

Well its just the engine has had a lot of unknown stress, its not like I push it all the time. Its a zetec. I replaced my second timing belt under warranty (Thank god) but the mechanic said the timing chain needed to be replaced (The belt that holds the cams) or maybe im just confused. I'd sell it whole but I can't with a messed up engine.

Zetec 4 cyl has timing belt, if it slipped time or broke, just put on the new one with the correct timing (see Zetec Maintenance area of CEG if you can). Timing belt/pulleys are routine on those engines.

Definitely don't get rid of it :nonono: . The Zetec has so much life left to it at 70k. I had the same thing happen to me, everything bad started happening around 70k and continued up through 85k. Only thing I have wrong now is a tiny leak in one of the brake lines right below my reservoir. :shrug: Besides the timing belt, the Zetec is a good car to have maintenance-wise.

Well its just the engine has had a lot of unknown stress, its not like I push it all the time. Its a zetec. I replaced my second timing belt under warranty (Thank god) but the mechanic said the timing chain needed to be replaced (The belt that holds the cams) or maybe im just confused. I'd sell it whole but I can't with a messed up engine.

70K miles is too soon to start parting out, im sorry to say.

Your mechanic has no idea what he is talking about, the zetec does not have a timing chain, its a non-interference motor, the cams are driven by a timing belt which, if not installed properly wont last very long, but SHOULD last no less than 80K miles, anything more is pushing fate. My stock belt went to 155K, but the last owner only traveled and never really pushed the car hard, thats a huge factor.

Replace the belt and keep driving it, or sell it for 2 grand and use that and whatever other cash you have as a down payment on an SVT, just dont scrap it out yet.

Ok so if the timing belt is for the cams, then what is the belt to the left of the cams. And its ntot he timing belt giving stress because I just replaced it 500 miles ago. There is some other belt I needed replacing because two pulleys got messed up and I think thats the one I'm confused about. The thing is if my zetec dies I would probobly get rid of it, espicially because I tihnk my tranny is giving me problems. Its an ATX and its kicking/lurching the car when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and its a pretty big lurch. It started when I ran out of gas (Or around the time period) a week ago. So any tips on that would be great, I already ahve a post in the transaxle area too.

the belt to the left of the timing belt (im assuming you mean outside of the cam covers and what not, is called the accessory drive belt, AKA Serpentine belt.

The serpentine belt ran off of the engine's crankshaft, its designed so that while the engine runs it turns all of the accessory systems of the engine; the alternator, the power steering pump, the A/C pump.

Serpentine belts are something you replace once every couple of years. They will start to squeal and slip when they need to be replaced.

the timing belt is a regular maitenence item also, just not as often; you replace the timing belt and its tensioners/idlers once every 100K miles, or less. 80K would be playing it safe.

The timing belt on the Contour I4 motor is kinda picky compared to most, if its not done correctly it fails prematurely, usualy because the tensioner is improperly tightened which allows the belt to walk its way off of the cams, and rub against the timing belt cover, which over a short period of time erodes the belt away and it snaps.

Back