• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil light is out.... ?

mityaz

New CEG'er
i know when the key is turned to ON position the oil light should come on, and when you go and start is it should go out. Well, mine doesnt even come on. Any ideas what this might be??:shrug: (2.5 Contour, '99)
Thanks in advance

i checked the bulb its good. Is there a sensor (oil pressure sensor) that might be messed?

Have you noticed any other issues?

Did you check fuses?

Yes, there is an oil pressure sensor, and the wire could be off of that.

Even though the bulb is good maybe it was not making proper contact for some reason?

Wire from the OPS is shorted or open?

AF

i didnt check fuses. would it be under the dash or hood? and where is that sensor located?

It is often faster to check all the fuses instead of studying manuals to see which one is for the circuit you are having trouble with. It is very easy to check the fuses with a test light or voltmeter.

fuses are all good. the problem is not solved. where is the sensor located and how can i check it?

Oil Pressure Sensor
The oil pressure sensor (9278) is located in the LH side of cylinder block (6010). When installing, tighten to 12-16 N-m (9-12 lb-ft).

AF

I doubt OP has an oil sensor issue. It is probably a wiring harness or connector issue.

Fuse can't cause this as there is no single fuse dedicated to this circuit.

The light should come on as soon as the ignition switch is in RUN and should stay on until the oil pressure switch senses sufficient oil pressure.

The fault could be the sender switch, any of the interconnecting wiring/cluster conductors, or the bulb itself.

Fastestway to diagnose is to locate the connector on the switch, ground it, and see if the light comes on. If it does, the switch is bad. If it didn't come on, there is an open circuit.

Here's the diagram for the 98. The 99 should be the same.

1998 Contour Cluster Schematic Partial.pdf

Steve

Fastestway to diagnose is to locate the connector on the switch, ground it, and see if the light comes on. If it does, the switch is bad. If it didn't come on, there is an open circuit.

how do i locate the switch? can i just do it by popping the hood, or do i have to jack the car up?

I've not had to play with it on my Contour yet, however, the switch, according to the service manual, is located just slightly towards the front of the engine from the oil filter.

You'll probably have to get at it from underneath.

Steve

Back